Sign in with
Your question

Second hard drive is not assigned drive letter

Last response: in Windows XP
April 23, 2011 1:20:13 AM

My Sony crashed.It was originally setup with Raid 0. I added to WD 500gig hard drives which the 1st one is reconized. The 2nd drive is reconized in hardware manager and the bios but does not get assigned a drive letter.
April 23, 2011 5:19:53 AM

Your RAID controller hasn't been setup for the new drives. Enter the RAID controller setup and assign the drives to a RAID or make them JBOD.

April 23, 2011 10:23:03 AM

Thanks for the help. The new volume is being migrated now and is a little over one third done. Hopefully this will resolve my issues.

Thanks again for the help.
Arnie
Related resources
April 26, 2011 9:25:12 PM

One final question. THe raid matrix now reconizes both hard drives. When i dislay in my computer Should the C: drive show the capicity for both hard drives? I set the raid volume 1 up with both hard drives/

Thanks,
Arnie
April 27, 2011 3:29:19 AM

Arnie66 said:
One final question. THe raid matrix now reconizes both hard drives. When i dislay in my computer Should the C: drive show the capicity for both hard drives? I set the raid volume 1 up with both hard drives/

Thanks,
Arnie

If you set up a mirrored RAID (RAID 1), it will show one drive with the capacity of one drive although there are two drives present. They are a mirror of each other which is a good thing for data protection redundancy. If one drive fails, it can be removed & replaced, the RAID rebuilt, and life is good, no data loss.

If you set the RAID up to be a striped array (RAID 0), still only one drive will show but with an apparent capacity of both drives combined. These are also known as suicide RAIDs because all data in both drives depends on both drives being present and healthy or all data is lost in both drives in the event of a drive malfunction or failure.

If you set the RAID controller to recognize the drives as stand-alone drives, not part of any RAID (JBOD) (just a bunch of drives) then each drive will appear separately, each with it's own drive letter and related capacity.

There are other RAID configurations, but you are using 2 drives, so I listed the most common setup for using 2 drives.

Your description of "raid volume 1" could be either of the first two described above.

April 30, 2011 1:19:40 AM

Raid is now set to raid 0. I tried to migrate from raid 0 to raid 1 thinking that would be the best but the matrix will not allow the change. It seems to me from the first response that this is a waste of disc space. How if possible can i change to just JBOD and have full use of both 500gig drives?

Thanks in advance,
Arnie
April 30, 2011 5:16:41 AM

I haven't noticed the model of your Sony computer.

The BIOS sometimes determines the RAID function of the controller, if it runs in RAID mode or SATA mode.
You must have a secure place to hold your data if changing the RAID configuration as the change usually results in re-writing the MBR to be compatible with the mode the drive will be used in.

If your data is safely out of harms way, check the BIOS for a method of changing the SATA/RAID mode. After that change you can invoke the RAID controller and make choices there as needed, reformat drives in their new operating mode and enjoy your system as you see fit.

RAID 1 systems are not a waste of drive space if you care about your data. I'm a compulsive backup maniac when it comes to my data. Hard drives are not so expensive anymore. Need more space, add it. I have 8 2TB Seagate drives and a Blu-Ray burner. Drives are all in RAID 1 mirror mode and I don't miss the duplicated space. I make Blu-ray backups as data changes just to be sure. Maybe I'm paranoid, but too much of my data cannot be replaced. If you don't have archives to protect or if everything you have can be replaced then a RAID 0 is not too dangerous for you.

May 1, 2011 9:56:19 PM

I have Vaio VCG-RC210G running XP media. I was not saying Raid one was a waste but Raid 0 since thati what i'm running under. As stated earlier I recently lost most of my data and had to rebuild my system.
!