Rate my new PC

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Hey guys i bought my PC for 1481 dollars but what do you think? is it worth it and rate it out of 10! =DD Thankss

Mainboard : Asus P5Q-E
Chipset : Intel P45
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2833 MHz
Physical Memory : 8192 MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series
Hard Disk : WDC (1000 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (150 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D ATA Device
DVD-Rom Drive : XEFEJGV PUZK16B45EFW SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : X213W - 22 inches
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
Operating System : Windows (TM) Vista Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00

how would u say?

My guesses are the machine is intended for a lot of video / multimedia stuff, possibly for pay; not for gaming. The 150GB drive is a Velociraptor perhaps?
Without knowing more about the intended uses for this machine, I cannot offer a rating. I am much more impressed by careful, thoughtful selection of parts to maximize bang for the buck than I am with raw benchmark performance. Any drone can spend $10K on an incredibly fast machine, but I like to see how well someone met his needs on a tight budget.
I'm not sure I've seen SCSI optical drives, and Google doesn't return any results on those part or model numbers.
So, this could have been an excellent, efficient build, or it may have been an utter waste; I can't tell without more information.

Power supply? Case?

I assume there's a SCSI controller in there somewhere too.

Why not just use DVD-RW drives for the "CDRom" part?

For playing games it's a very beautiful machine, especially if you add a second video card at some point. I'm guessing though that the PC will have other purposes too, what with all those DVD drives.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Thats a lot of RAM :eek:
Would be good to know more about that.

I would have perhaps allocated more budget to the GPU, away from drives, opticals and stuck in a 4870 - i dont think the 4850 does this proc / RAM justice.
Its very important with the components you are running that you didnt go cheap on the Case / PSU. Im guessing as they arent listed there is a danger of them being Generic.

On what you have said i would give an 8 as it will run most apps well...but i think there can be improvements within the same budget.

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Here you guys sorry forgot to add...

Mainboard : Asus P5Q-E
Chipset : Intel P45
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2833 MHz
Physical Memory : 8192 MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )*1066*
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series
Hard Disk : WDC (1000 GB) *7200RPM*
Hard Disk : WDC (150 GB) *Velcroraptor**10000RPM*
Monitor Type : X213W - 22 inches
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
Operating System : Windows (TM) Vista Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9

Case : Antec P190
Power Supply 1000W Antec

also at yobigd20: Wow. I built mine for 1.4k...lmfaooo u spent like 8k more XD

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
This is an awesome computer...for the moneies its an absolute steal. Like evongugg said, no i7 so can't give it a 10 but its a definate 8 or 9. Still dont understand the need for 4 DVD drives or 2 netwrok cards.

PSU - amazing
GPU - Could be the 4870x2 but still good and keeps the budget down
nice case
RAM - nice and fast but 8gig is a bit over the top
HDD - very fast....awesome, love WDC
MoBo - nice board I would prefer a gigabyte

Im from england so this would cost about £700....so jealous!!!!!

Hmmm, still not clear as to purpose, but I'm seeing what looks like some waste. Why the network cards, when the mobo has gigabit ethernet?
Why all those optical drives, and why SCSI?
If this is a gamer, why "only" a 4850 considering the expense of those other things?
I'm certain that RAM does not conform to the JEDEC standard, so that's at least a -1 right there. There are fantastic things about it to be sure, and the price looks amazing, but I'm having a hard time visuallizing how it could be used that would get good use out of ALL of those components. The nearest I can come is that it looks like some kind of server, including of multiple installation or reference media.

Oh, and I'm willing to bet that Velcroraptor has major problems with a phenomenon more common to older MFM hard drives called "stiction;" either that or it has a unique mounting method.

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
let's see... the 4870 was a LITTLE expensive so i didn't get it. also the 4850's were 89.99 so it made me think! =DD also the network cards...running server! =DD but yeah i was going to go with a gigabyte but i said no *kinda little more expensive.* now the opticial drives i had those for burning and so forth. Plus he threw them in as incentive for me to buy this computer XD . but otherwise consider i bought this for a cheap price. like this would be how much if i bought outside say...future shop/building my own it would be a lot more XD