Losing BIOS changes

Tidalwake

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I know this has been asked, and I have searched on and off for the past few days looking for an answer but I can't find anything particular to my issue. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Q6600 (2.4 Ghz Quad)
Asus P5N-E SLI mobo
Zalman 9700
Mushkin DDR2 (4-4-4-12)
Windows 7 Pro
Antec 900 case

I am having trouble getting any kind of overclock on my CPU but I am still playing with it, the most annoying part is after an unsuccessful power up (POSTs fine, freezing on Windows splash screen) the next try Windows will load but all the settings except Vcore are default and no BIOS changes will stick (even memory timings) until the CMOS is cleared. I don't have any form of speedstep or power saving enabled in the BIOS and I am not going for very aggressive clocks to start with. At this point I have almost given up on getting any kind of overclock out of the chip but I know other people are successfully getting a decent clock out of this CPU/mobo combo. At this point I can't even get relatively mild overclock to load into Windows, it will POST but freeze at the same point on the splash screen every time. If anyone knows how to get past this snafu I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.