DPMan

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor - Intel Core i7 920 (XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 w/ retention bracket)
Graphics - VisionTek Radeon HD 4870x2 2GB GDDR5
Power - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
Memory - G.Skill 6GB PC10666 (DDR3-1333) RAM
Hard Drive - 300GB VelociRaptor
Case - Antec 900
CD-ROM - LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM

Other:
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2
2 x Samsung 22" 2253BW Monitors (already owned)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Questions
- Will the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 w/ retention bracket fit on this motherboard?
- Is a higher wattage/different PSU a better idea?
- Is getting 1600 memory over 1333 worth it?
- Any other suggestions to make this build better?

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
- I don't thing you VGA card will fit the case. Try the COOLER MASTER RC-690. It cheep and well planed. I got one my self waiting for the rest.
- GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 is better choice i think.
1600 ram worth it if you plan 2 over clock.
I don't really see the point of your VGA choice. You will be able to play at 1680 x 1050 max with your monitor. and 2 4850 with be overkill by any standard. And your Antec will hold them nicely.
-You sure about the Raptor? For same price you can get 2 1TB drives, configure them as raid 0 and in most tasks thay will blow the raptor out of the water.

DPMan

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
- I don't thing you VGA card will fit the case. Try the COOLER MASTER RC-690. It cheep and well planed. I got one my self waiting for the rest.

How do you tell? Or is it pretty hard to determine? Saw this...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252307-28-4870x2-antec

Which seems to say its good to go.

- GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 is better choice i think.

Any specific reasoning?

You will be able to play at 1680 x 1050 max with your monitor. and 2 4850 with be overkill by any standard.

The monitor is most likely the next thing to get upgraded and was hoping for it to last a while.

-You sure about the Raptor? For same price you can get 2 1TB drives, configure them as raid 0 and in most tasks thay will blow the raptor out of the water.

I considered a RAID configuration but the PC will be used for business as well. So if I went RAID it would probably be RAID 1. Is RAID 1 still gonna win over the velocirapter?

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

DPMan

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Case: if you go 4 the 4870x2 or nvidia big cards like 2xxgtx it will be tight.

I checked out the COOLER MASTER RC-690. It is pretty sleek. I will consider this one as well.

MB: it the same board but cheaper.

I researched this a bit. I guess the "extreme" has some cooling piping or something?

Hard Drive: Raid1 (Mirror) don't give you any performance advantages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID1#RAID_1_failure_rate
If you want backup, get external ESata drive.

I don't really need much hard drive space. I don't download movies. I have a moderate amount of music. Rest will be for Games/Applications. My current backup setup is 1TB on a small networked server which basically images any computers on the network so if any HD fails I can restore it easily.

However the RAID 0 setup somewhat worries me due to the "if 1 fails, everything fails" issue. Perhaps I am just paranoid. I figured the Velocirapter would provide the needed space (300gb) plus speed and be comparable to RAID 0 but perhaps I am wrong.

As far as the GPU goes I picked the 4870x2 after researching it on some other forums. I am wanting to somewhat future proof this machine along with being able to connect 2 monitors (for business/work). My budget is about $2000 if that matters.

DPMan

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Also I have replaced parts/disassembled computers before so builing them should be no problem. However, overclocking would be something completely new to me. That along with setting up 2 cards in crossfire if I were to go the 2 x 4850 you suggest. Is it difficult?

Also any keyboard suggestions? Already got a mouse (Logitech MX518)

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
MB: the "extreme" water cooling ready. That basically it.

If you don't need space and you "paranoid", you can't get wrong with the raptor.

Ram: if you want you rig last longer take the 1600 ram, you will have the option to over clock, and it really easy with the i7.

VGA: here i am the "paranoid" the 4780x2 is a hot card that will have to prove it self over the time. I don't like the idea of 2 chips on one card, it double the chance of something 2 get wrong. With two cards, if one gone you will still have the other one.
As for Dual monitor,
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251984-33-crossfire-dual-monitor-question
Ether way you cant get wrong with your budget lol

DPMan

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So it looks like crossfire will work with dual monitors just not in games which is fine for me.

What about 2 x 4870? Is this just a waste of money? How difficult is it to setup crossfire? Pretty much plug and play with the catalyst software?

I like the way you think. That's a nice looking build. :)

I'm glad to see you stuck with the 4870x2. I don't agree with crossfire 4850's since it would cut off your upgrade path and run even hotter than a 4870x2 since the 4870x2 pushes the hot air outside the case.

DPMan

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I like the way you think. That's a nice looking build.

Good to hear :)

Any idea on a keyboard? I am used to my current dell m170 laptop keyboard so anything is gonna be weird to use for a couple of days but looking for something quiet/soft keys like a laptop.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
It is true, you cant get wrong with your VGA card choice, if you have the cach. And if you plan on geting new lcd it make sence.
What you plan to do with your rig? It will help with keybord choice.
I am Logitech fan my self...Post some Pics whan you done :)