Ideas on Why I get Stuck at Startup but not every time

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Well! :pfff:

Hello Friends !

I have a problem.

When I OC, Every now and then it gets stuck, like 2 sec after I hit the Power Button, before bios, it gets stuck.

Not all the time, sometimes it starts up fine, ok most of the time.

But Randomly it gets stuck! :pfff:

I just can't figure it out, I've tried changing timings on Ram, Voltages, ect It still gets stuck now and then.

Only when I OC.

I dropped the CPU voltage way down to 1.2v and bumped the CPU to 4.0GHz and it started fine.

Really odd.

It did this with both my E8400 and Q9650.

And with 2 different Ram Brands and speeds.

Any Ideas?

If you need any more info Let me know.

Using EVGA 790i Ultra,4GB Corsair 1600,Q9650.

I Overclocked to 3.6GHz sync with Ram, even Not sync with ram, ether way it still gets stuck.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Stuck? As in pauses before starting, or the fans spin for half a second, then pauses, then starts up normally?

If any of those, your system is fine. It just happens to some motherboards. My new rig starts up about 8 seconds after I press the power button, and my old one would do similar.

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

No, my HDD Light is on and everything is running , it just doesn't do anything, doesn't load Bios.

I waited about 20 sec before and nothing.

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

It's Corsair 1600, but it stuck at 1333, so I link the CPU and ram at 1600, the Ram Calls for 8-8-8-24@1.65v so thats what its at.

My last OCZ Reaper Was Junk, It finally Turned to junk.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Memtesst86+. http://www.memtest.org/

Just burn it to a CD, then boot to it and it will automatically run. I usually let it go for a while, start it before I go to work and hope it's still running when I get home about 8 hours later! :D

After that, once you get into Windows, run a program called Prime95. http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
It is a different beast entirely than Intel Burn/Linpack/OCCT in that it puts a... different max load on. While I have been stable in Linpack and OCCT, Prime95 has immediately failed before, so I no longer use any other programs to test for stability. Just run the small FFT test, and keep it going for at least a few hours, the longer you keep it running, the higher the chance that it will find any errors.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
EVGA 790i and I think 780i do that. I had both for a while and I know the 790i did that and so did the 780i. If you change your bios settings, ANY bios settings on reboot it will stop on the boot up. It is obviously a chipset problem, maybe just with EVGA models. It does not matter which bios you upgrade to either. I tried several and the problem always followed.

The only way I got around this was to remember to fully shut down after a bios change, no restart. I found that if I completely shut down the system after any bios change and than cold booted, the settings would take and my changes were stable and effective. Just a restart and problems either at startup or during operation, with random lock ups and crashing.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I have read that setting the memory timings to "Optimum" has resolved this for some people with the 790i.

warezme:

I have never had this happen with my 780i. Maybe I just got lucky.