New System - a few quick question

moses0020

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm building a new Comp for a friend. Although he won't be doing much gaming, he is asking for something top of the line and is willing to spend. I've decided to go with the Intel Q9550 with the Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R. Since there will be absolutely no overclocking, I was wondering If i needed to buy an additional CPU Cooler, or will the stock one be fine????

My second question regards memory. I know the motherboard supports up to DDR2 1066. However, will there be any noticeable speed differences between the DDR2800 and 1066?? He will mainly use this for multitasking (itunes, MSN messenger , MS office, thunderbird, etc.). The price for 4 x 2gb of the 800 is only a few bucks cheaper than the 1066. I was just thrown off because I wasnt sure of the actual speed differences, and I also noticed that teh timings were higher on the 1066.

Thanks in advanced.

rberry

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
The stock cooler would be fine as long as you never intend to overclock.

As far as the memory goes, imo there will not be any user noticable speed differences, but if the 1066 is just a few bucks more expensive id go with that.

also just so ya know, im pretty sure you could get the phenom 2 940 black edtion # 3.0 ghz with a reasonable motherboard and save some money there, if you wanted to.

hope this helps and good luck with your build :)

Mondoman

Splendid
Stock cooler is fine, but go with the DDR2-800. Pretty much all the "DDR2-1066" stuff out there is just overclocked DDR2-800 RAM, as you can tell by it having a voltage spec higher than the DDR2 standard 1.8-1.9V.