Sign in with
Your question

12 port SATA / SAS controller

Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2010 10:01:07 AM

HI!

I'm looking for a SATA controller supporting 12 SATA disk in single mode.
I don't want any raid setup. I could use a 8 port with the extension cards I have
but a 12 port would be best. The price range will determine on what to buy.

I heard SAS controllers could work.

Running XP Pro. Have PCI-X and PCIx16 vacant.
I know X8 works on an X16 slot.

Any recommendations ?
a c 127 G Storage
April 27, 2010 4:38:27 PM

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13498

You the same bloke as in here?

As i said in quoted thread already, you do not need to have all disks on one controller; especially if you won't be running RAID. So assuming your motherboard has more SATA ports online, you could buy an 8-port controller and have 8+6=14 SATA ports. If you need more you would need to buy 12/16-port controllers which will likely cost you 8 times as much; as these only come with RAID support. Or 2 of the cheap 8 port controllers.

Of course, running so many disks without redundancy would mean you lose data at one point.
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 27, 2010 4:46:41 PM

You probably want to use a port multiplier, like this:

SATA HUB 5-Port eSATA 1-to-5 SATA II Port Multiplier

http://www.sataport.com/
April 27, 2010 5:46:08 PM

sub mesa said:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13498

You the same bloke as in here?

As i said in quoted thread already, you do not need to have all disks on one controller; especially if you won't be running RAID. So assuming your motherboard has more SATA ports online, you could buy an 8-port controller and have 8+6=14 SATA ports. If you need more you would need to buy 12/16-port controllers which will likely cost you 8 times as much; as these only come with RAID support. Or 2 of the cheap 8 port controllers.

Of course, running so many disks without redundancy would mean you lose data at one point.

yup!

Got told to piss of in the other forum ;) 

Thanks!

There was so much talk about HBA and ZFS that I wanted to be 100% sure before buying one.
April 27, 2010 5:53:23 PM

pinaplex said:
have you considered going with an external eSATA case with port multipliers? this would eliminate the need for an extra card, just connect it to an esata port.

check out the DAS801T enclosure

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001H54JWW/ref=s9_su...

I've connected 2 Antec 1200 cases, and have space for 10 more hard drives.

Currently running 2 IDE and 9 SATA on internal connectors with1 DVD SATA.
and 2 SATA disk on one 2 port PCIX1 extension card. (total 11 TB)

I have 1 more 2 port SATA controller on old PCI, but an 12 port would eliminate the 2 small cards.

a c 127 G Storage
April 27, 2010 6:23:10 PM

HBA = Host Bridge Adaptor; a normal SATA 'controller'. Because SATA is part of IDE philosophy, the controller is actually in the SATA drive and the chip on the motherboard is only a Host Bridge Adaptor.

So HBA is a SATA controller without RAID support; we call that a 'dumb' HBA as it does nothing more than provide SATA ports; no RAID or whatever.

In your case; do you need 12 SATA ports in total or an additional 12? If you count the SATA ports on your motherboard, you only need an 8-port HBA to reach 12 ports.
April 27, 2010 6:36:48 PM

sub mesa said:
HBA = Host Bridge Adaptor; a normal SATA 'controller'. Because SATA is part of IDE philosophy, the controller is actually in the SATA drive and the chip on the motherboard is only a Host Bridge Adaptor.

So HBA is a SATA controller without RAID support; we call that a 'dumb' HBA as it does nothing more than provide SATA ports; no RAID or whatever.

In your case; do you need 12 SATA ports in total or an additional 12? If you count the SATA ports on your motherboard, you only need an 8-port HBA to reach 12 ports.

There's 8 sata, 2 e-sata and 1 pata. 12 totally connectible.

Sooner or later the pata will be gone.
2 small 2 port sata controllers. 1 pci and 1 pcie x1

Thats 16, and an 8 port would work, but a 12 port would
let me get the 2 small ones out. But the prices on a 12 port
is too high compared to the UIO you recommended.

Shouldn't be a problem connecting it to a x16 port and
modify the bracket to fit. Just finding the best place to buy it. :) 
a c 127 G Storage
April 27, 2010 8:18:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it already has those breakout cables; so the only thing you really need is SATA power connectors/splitters and the controller.

By the way; this controller is 6Gbps; modern version. It does not work yet on FreeNAS/FreeBSD if you ever change you mind and realize ZFS is so cool it's a shame you've missed it all those years. ;-)
April 27, 2010 9:08:10 PM

sub mesa said:
I'm pretty sure it already has those breakout cables; so the only thing you really need is SATA power connectors/splitters and the controller.

By the way; this controller is 6Gbps; modern version. It does not work yet on FreeNAS/FreeBSD if you ever change you mind and realize ZFS is so cool it's a shame you've missed it all those years. ;-)

I've got plenty of power and power connectors for SATA.

1200W Chieftec PSU

With 14 units connected I haven't started using power splitters.
June 2, 2010 6:16:51 AM

sub mesa said:

I got the card last week, and it didn't have those cables. But I did order them anyway. Didn't want to have the card without any cables if it came without. It works great, but 2 internal SATA connectors wont work with the car connected.
a c 127 G Storage
June 2, 2010 3:22:30 PM

That last part i don't understand:

Quote:
but 2 internal SATA connectors wont work with the car connected.

With internal you mean the ones on your motherboard? Do you have multiple controllers on your motherboard?
June 10, 2010 9:46:46 AM

sub mesa said:
That last part i don't understand:

Quote:
but 2 internal SATA connectors wont work with the car connected.

With internal you mean the ones on your motherboard? Do you have multiple controllers on your motherboard?

Jepp!
Asus P5E WS PRO
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gCDqNWlaHMShkIsU

6 SATA ports on southbridge works fine.

And on ext PATA and SATA contoller:
2 xExternal SATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5)
2 xSATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5)
1 x ATA

It is the 2 xSATA 150/300 (RAID 0,1,10,5) not working.
PATA and ESATA works fine.

The SAS/RAID card worked without installing any drivers.
Windows 7 got one automatically.
July 1, 2010 12:28:41 PM

Any idea?
!