Sign in with
Your question

No ACC Support on 890GX chipsets? Does it matter?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 24, 2010 1:21:52 AM

I was about to get this phenom II X3 720 and Gigabyte 890GX combo from newegg, when I noticed a reviewer stating that this board does not have ACC support. So I did some reading on ACC, and apparently it was/is required to unlock the 4th core. ACC also supposedly increases the OC potential of a CPU of some older chips. Is this still true of these newer cpus, and would I be losing anything in terms of overclocking by buying a non-ACC supported motherboard?

Can anyone comfirm if this information is still true with the phenom ii x3 720? I'm still debating whether I am interested in attempting to unlock a 4th core. Overclocking with an aftermarket cooler is still my priority.

Also, does anyone know which chipsets (890GX, 790FX, etc.) have ACC support?

Appreciate the help
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 6:46:45 AM

I'm pretty sure you need ACC to unlock cores, and apparently it also does help stabilise overclocks.
The reason why AMD removed this from 890GX was because they didn't want people to buy dual cores for $100 and turning them into Phenom II X4s.

However, there are two ASUS 890GX boards, M4A89GTD PRO with or w/o USB3 have a feature called Core Unlocker, which is essentially ACC, but purposely designed to unlock cores.
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 8:06:57 AM

Without ACC there will be no unlocking the fourth core and it will not overclock as well it would be your best bet to get a 790 board.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 3:35:10 PM

ACC helps overclocking on Phenom chips, but not so much for Phenom II chips. For a Phenom II X4 it pretty much does nothing, but it can help you unlock an X2 or X3 chip. If you want to try and unlock the core, the get a board with ACC
!