Virtualization Technology (VT) and its use for VMware

Hey,

So I am looking to buy a CPU. Right now I am choosing between:

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
OCed to 3.6-4GHz ish

AND

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Retail
OCed to 3-3.2GHz

Basically, I need to know what difference I'll see with AMD's chip having VT.

I run linux and windows (dual boot). In linux I'm hoping to run a VM (virtualbox maybe?).

So with AMDs VT, will I notice a large difference in performance (with a VM) or will the high clocked Intel chip still beat it.

Thanks!

Oh by the way, I don't know much about VT but I'm assuming that it aids VM performance?
11 answers Last reply
More about virtualization technology vmware
  1. If you run a single VM, having VT won't really make much of a difference. The fastest system will be the best one. If you were running several busy VMs, then VT would help a bit.
  2. Ok thanks. I'll look into getting the intel then.

Do I need an 800FSB mobo to run a 800 FSB CPU (E5200) or will a mobo with 1066 work? Or could I just OC?
  3. The chipset determines the maximum FSB. A motherboard that supports a 1066 Mhz FSB or faster will support all lower FSBs.
  4. E5xxx/E7xxx series doesn't support virtualization. You'll need to step up to the E8400 for virtualization support.
    X2 7750 Kuma does have virtualization support.
  5. For one VM, it doesn't matter, particularly if using VMware.
  6. Virtualization technology makes a big difference when it comes to VMs... except that gain normally comes from having two or more VMs... look on the bight side, you can run a 64bit guest on a 32 bit host ;)
  7. Alright. Thanks for all the replys. I think I'm actually going with the Phenom II x3 720. :D
  8. More cores the merrier... I thinkz they still have the 9600 BE for the same price...
  9. The PII x3 OCs much higher and I game quite a bit but also a little bit of multi-core apps. Its a lot more powerful when I'll be using fewer, higher clocked cores.
  10. Sure, nice choice anyways
  11. Yeah. I really can't wait for this!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product