Boot problems with new self build?

RedRed

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hi

I have a problem booting up my new homebuilt system which I intend to use as a music PC for recording/mixing:

Motherboard: Intel DP35DP
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Memory: 2Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC6400 CL5 800MHz 240pin
Graphics card: Gigabye nVidia 8500GT PCIe
Hard drives: 2 x 250Gb SATA2 Seagate
PSU: Corsair 650W 650TX
CPU fan/heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
DVD/CD writer: Pioneer(?)

Currently I have the motherboard mounted on a cardboard box. With only the CPU, CPU fan, RAM and Graphics card plugged in, on startup I get no beeps and nothing on screen, but the CPU fan spins until I switch the PSU off.

This is what I’ve tried:
1. Removed RAM and started up – I get three beeps as expected.
2. Inserted one stick of RAM and removed Graphics card – no beeps, the motherboard manual states I should get one long one and two short ones. I also repeated this test using my other stick of RAM and got the same result.
3. Inserting two sticks of RAM, not surprisingly, gives the same result as 2.

Some additional information, which may be relevant: When I switch the PSU on, the light on the motherboard switches on and stays on, as expected, but also the CPU fan starts spinning for a few seconds then stops and also if the keyboard is attached (via USB) when the PSU is switched on the keyboard lights flash once.

I think, although I'm far from certain that it’s a motherboard problem, although I suppose it could be faulty RAM, but I doubt both sticks are bad.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Terry

RedRed

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Just noticed some additional information (everything is back in the PC case now):

My PC case extractor fan works fine when attached to the motherboard back chassis fan header but it doesn’t work when attached to the motherboard front chassis header.

RedRed

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
It turned out that the motherboard was faulty. Luckily I live only about an hour's drive from the sellers, so I took it there and they were able to confirm the problem in a few minutes.

They didn't have another Intel DP35DP in stock so I ended up getting a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L. Once I've fitted a Firewire card, for my Fireface 800, it should cover my needs just as well. Everything is going smoothly at the moment, XP is installed, just needs to be activated and then on to my music software.

Thanks
Terry