Computer hangs after mobo splash screen appears :(

gerald521

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Guys,

Please help me. :cry:
My Computer Just stopped working. When i turn it on, it hangs up after the MoBo splash screen dissappears.
After the splash screen "_" blinks 2 times then screen turns to black. I have already tried booting up my Win XP CD but same thing happens.. i think my hard drive is broken. I have already tried removing my graphics card but same thing happens. Please help me guys.. what should i do? and is there a possibility to recover my precious data?? :heink:
But one thing confuses me, my hard drive is detected at BIOS.. but i cant seem to boot it.. :pfff:

My Specs:

MoBo: Asus P5KPL - AM SE
Ram: 2GB Transcend
Graphics: Galaxy GeForce 7200 GS 256mb
Drive: 80 GB Seagate
Processor: Intel Dual Core 1.6ghz

please help me guys.. :( :( :(

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
so you cant get to the Mobo setup in dos but dont get up eny bootible devices in start?.

does it req for a bootible dev and press enter right before os load is supose to run?
or does it simply go black and no load of eny kind?

you can try to download Ubuntu on a USB and try booting Ubuntu. if that dont work i think you got yourself a broken mother board.

try replasing ram if you can detach all usb ports and all unessesary stuff so you got a controled startup.

Pull out your hardrives when starting if you whont get Ububtu to run. and if you only got your set of ram take out all but one and try all of them alone if nun of this work your mobo has gone to a better place my friend.

and if your hardrive is gone rampage and ubuntu works great then if you got realy important info on it leav it to a proffesional pc place and ask to save your info it will work no sweet but a bit costly.

Nowa

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I have had a similar problem to yours quite recently, although the broken hard drive did not cause my computer to crash. The BIOS did detect the disc but the POST screen sometimes did not.
To narrow it down you could try booting without the hard drive attached and directly from your windows CD. If it works that way it is propably a broken hard drive.
Also you could try to use the hard drive on another computer and see if it works. If you have problems booting then you can try hot plugging the drive on while your operating system (of the other computer) is already running, and see if the administrative tools or device manager can find it.

gerald521

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

i have already tried booting with the CD and removed HDD. it did booted properly but it says no HDD attached. If it really is the HDD.. can i still recover my files?? it is partitioned by 2 parts. all of my important files are on D:\

gerald521

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

it didn't actually crash.. it just wont boot.. well i think its the HDD.. but the problem is.. can i recover my files back?? it is partitioned.. all my important files are on D:\.. what could be the cause of that problem??

Nowa

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
If you can get to test it on another computer and hot plug the hdd in while the operating system is running there is a chance that the operating system might find the drive and then you can move any data you want. if even the OS can't find the drive and it's totally wasted.. well.. there are some programs that can recover data but I admit I've never had to resort to such programs so it's not really my cup of tea.

gerald521

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

damn.. i guess i have to cross my fingers and hope it will be recovered by slaving it to another computer.. but thanks anyway..

tan007

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
hey...

I had the same issue,this happened while overclocking right?
First of all there is a small red light which blinks while detecting harddrive,if this even blinks one time then ur harddrive seems to okay.Now boot up to windows xp disk and reinstall it after formating

surely work.

sadelack

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Tentative solution:
i think have the exact same problem--PC hangs on BIOS splash screen (most of the time--i can power down->power up->system reboots and 1 out of 5 times i can get past the splash screen.

When I saw the previous post about the MOBO being broke, I consulted my fellow lab techs and we found this:
I haven't updated my MOBO firmware/BIOS in three years (!). the newest update on the ASUS site says:

"P5B Deluxe BIOS 1238
Fix system hangs at POST while using certain 4GB memory and CPUs."

This sounds exactly whats going on at home--I will try to update and post a follow-up tomorrow.

sadelack

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
follow up:
the bios update worked great--PC boots 100% so far

unfortunately i had several other simultaneous issues:
-vista 64 was showing invalid on desktop message(?!)--(maybe because the mobo wasn't communicating?)
-there was a cmos error on start up after updating BIOS, but that must've self-corrected after that
some of the drivers (ATI video) didn't show after update, showed after reboot and had to be reconfigured

i'm still watching closely for other errors, but my PC does in fact boot properly after the latest BIOS update

later edit (!):
almost a week later I have seen the PC gradually degrade back to a similar situation. other forum entries make me think its mobo replacement time. very hard to get beyond the BIOS splash screen. hmmmm....

later edit (!):
IT guys and OCZ forum suggested resetting the cmos on the mobo via the jumper--this worked like a charm. back to full functionality, no hassles anywhere.