Cannot see two (2) newly added CPU's in Workgroup

KCT

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I am currently running four (4) computers, each with XP Professional as their Operating Systems on a network
utilizing an 8 port network switch. All four of the computers are in the same workgroup and are visable to
each other. I added two more computers and they cannot be seen by the other computers, nor can they see
the other computers. All computers have different names, are assigned to the same workgroup and have their
drives shared. At this point any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

willfred

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I would try pinging those newly added computers, if that doesn't work I would check the ports/connections to the actual computers.

Also is there anything that would be preventing them from connecting from the workgroup? ie a specific firewall? Maybe the switch?

I have had trouble adding new computers to my network and the culprit was the router not recognizing the new IP addresses and thus not giving them access.

KCT

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

Both computers worked on another network so I believe the port connections are OK. I will try pinging them.
There are no firewalls running. Have tried two different 8 port switches. Thanks

KCT

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

Willfred, Thanks for your interest and help. Solved the problem. When I went to check the IP addresses I found that
the four (4) original computers were set to default gateway 192.168.0.1 and the two new ones were set to
192.168.2.1 They would time out when pinged but upon changing the gateway they became part of the workgroup.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS