Partition deleted - NTLDR error?

Greetings, I need help trying to recover some files on my pc.

I had an XP installation working fine on a single hd setup with about 25 gb free space.
I tried partitioning the drive (c to free up that empty space so that I could install Windows 7 on it, (i guess its called dual boot?)

I used a free partition manager program from download.com, it went through the setup and had to restart the pc and continue from dos to finish. That's where it went to hell.
I could not boot the drive again, due to a NTLDR file missing error.

I tried some recommendations on using the XP install CD. The cd can't find any windows installs. The recovery console, FIXBOOT didn't work. BOOTCFG recommended I use CHKDSK to look for errors and fix them-I didn't find any.

FIXMBR says I have invalid MBR, so I had it write a new one.

Now my current normal boot results in :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>system32hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I also tried the recommendations on ntldrismissing.com to no avail.

The only thing I care about right now is a couple of important folders on that drive that I would like to recover. So I connected the drive to another PC and attempted to use Easus partition tools to recover. Nothing.

Any Ideas?

---------------Update:

I was able to install win7 onto the part of the drive using partition magic free bootup cd, I was unable to install Xp though, (the error I received was xp was unable to detect any previous installations.)

anyhow, from win7 disc mgmt I gave the remaining partition a drive letter, yet I still do not see my old files on it.
4 answers Last reply
More about partition deleted ntldr error
  1. Try making a BartPE bootable disc. Use it to start the machine and try accessing the hd. If the drive can be seen, you can then copy the files to a usb flash. Also chk this link.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm
  2. Dogsnake said:
    Try making a BartPE bootable disc. Use it to start the machine and try accessing the hd. If the drive can be seen, you can then copy the files to a usb flash. Also chk this link.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

So if I can access the hd now thru windows7, would it be the same as using bartpe? (see update above)
  3. Hard to say what you have now. Since the BartPE is free and easy try it to look at the drive contents. The BartPE puts the minimum files on a cd needed to act as an os and boot the machine. You will be running the machine from the cd. It is not the same as what you describe. I would not install anything else as there is always a chance to over wright or damage the data you want to recover.
  4. Installing win7(or any OS for that matter) on the same drive you are trying to recover data from unfortunetly was a very bad thing to do. I would cease using the drive immediately and get a data recovery solution, I like getdataback at www.runtime.org. You need to install this software on another system, and attach this drive as storage drive, not a system drive(don't boot from it).
    If GDB doesn't see the data, it is not likely there anymore, or it will take some very sophisticated techniques/hardware/software(very expensive, in the thousands of dollars) to get the data back.
    Not to harp on ya, learning new things is great, but remember a couple of things, research is your friend, back up anything you don't want to lose.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Windows XP Storage