Go back to IE6 from IE8 upgraded in error

DESPERATEinLINTON

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello,
I am hoping there is someone out there who can help me !!. My PC crashed and although all my data was recovered the OS and all my applications have gone with the motherboard....my problem is that I do some data processing for a large org, which supports access to its systems via IE6 only.

I had asked my PC shop to upgrade the memory and fix a small keyboard problem I had on my standby XP machine a laptop, however the overzealous engineer loaded all the XP S Packs and upgraded my IE to IE8....disaster .
When I asked him to revert he said no can do ??.
I recall some time ago on one of my other PCs I had loaded something that caused me a problem and I managed to set my machine back to an earlier date so that the updates were undone,
I have tried to find a similar facility on my current XP PC and can't see it anywhere anyone out there able to help.

DESPERATEinLINTON

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

Hi No such topic on Control Panel and checked all poss items on the CP, however from start have clicked "help and support" which has "System restore"option to restore system to date / list of items that were loaded .

I am just about to click on item before IE8 and hopefully I will be back in business, I will let you know outcome.

Thank you for your assistance..........

DESPERATEinLINTON

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

I guess it was too good to be true, I ran system restore 5 times and each time I got failure response just said "no changes have been made to your system" I trried to undo just 1 bit at a time and still same response.

I thought I could uninstall ie8, but no option to remove it on my "add or remove" option from Control panel any ideas.

Thanks

Tell your guys they really need to upgrade... supporting IE6 only is kinda sucky. If you tick off "Show Updates" at the top of your Add / Remove Programs window, IE8 should be listed in there somewhere.

DESPERATEinLINTON

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hi All,

Been offline over 24 hrs due hardware aprobs and so sloooow PC, just to clarify, I did find ie8 on my add remove list from the CP, however there is no option to "change / Remove" as there is on other s/wares listed.

It has been suggested that once IE8 is installed it cannot be removed other than by reformatting the HD, which I am very tempted to do right now.

Gratteful for any suggestions, note upgrading from IE6 is not an option, my client's web front end to mainframe only supports IE6 even IE 7 is not an option.

Thanks to all