Hard drive memory problems

Jerry C

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello,
I am not very computer literate, so bear with me. Running Windows XP Pro w/@25 GB C-Drive memory. I have very little stored on C-Drive. Only MB of memory left. Not even enough to run defrag. Windows folder shows almost 25 GB. What in the Windows folder could possibly be taking up that space and how to fix?

Solution
What takes up the space is an automatic backup program, that has created a second drive letter on the existing hard drive. This has caused all data to be duplicated onto the backup, and has used all the drive space.
Also junk downloads, that accumulate spyware, cookies and advertising on the drive.

Backup all your personal files to another drive or DVD...etc...
Delete all the partitions on the drive and reformat the drive, reload a fresh operating system, replace your files from the backup.

It is also a good idea to buy a larger drive!
What takes up the space is an automatic backup program, that has created a second drive letter on the existing hard drive. This has caused all data to be duplicated onto the backup, and has used all the drive space.
Also junk downloads, that accumulate spyware, cookies and advertising on the drive.

Backup all your personal files to another drive or DVD...etc...
Delete all the partitions on the drive and reformat the drive, reload a fresh operating system, replace your files from the backup.

It is also a good idea to buy a larger drive!

Solution

Jerry C

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
You are right. I tossed out that computer and just bought one with Windows 7, 12GB RAM and 1 TB Hard Drive. The Auto Backup sucked up almost all of my 12GB, leaving me with @ 1.5 GB left.