Sign in with
Your question

My e-machines computer has hard drive but nothing is on it?

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2009 5:04:35 AM

I bought an e-machines computer yesterday and I tried to load xp and it says that the hard drive has nothing on it, do I just go find a hard drive somewhere and plug it in, or do I need to take it to a tech, thanks
February 14, 2009 9:50:42 AM

What do you mean by "load xp"? If it's a new computer, it's defective and should be returned. If used, it sounds like they didn't install WIndows. You will have to get a Windows CD and install it yourself (which is pretty straightforward, but may take a while).
February 14, 2009 10:29:29 AM

First, check the hardrive connections. You need one from the power supply, and one going to the motherboard. One of them could be loose. Then try booting up again, and see if windows loads. If windows doesn't load but the hardrive is detected, you can order a dell oem windows cd or dvd from a few software venders listed on pricewatch if needed. The dell windows copy is about $16 shipped (9 software is one vender that may have it). You will need a valid coa sticker number on your case to reactivate windows, so be sure the dell cd is the same windows version as your system. This is easier than sending in your pc for service.
Related resources
February 14, 2009 4:32:30 PM

Mondoman said:
What do you mean by "load xp"? If it's a new computer, it's defective and should be returned. If used, it sounds like they didn't install WIndows. You will have to get a Windows CD and install it yourself (which is pretty straightforward, but may take a while).

I bought my computer from a used store and they wipe the hard drives clean before they resale them. Do I need to go buy a harddrive wih something on it or is their a cd I can insert with hard drive info on it?
February 14, 2009 4:34:47 PM

o1die said:
First, check the hardrive connections. You need one from the power supply, and one going to the motherboard. One of them could be loose. Then try booting up again, and see if windows loads. If windows doesn't load but the hardrive is detected, you can order a dell oem windows cd or dvd from a few software venders listed on pricewatch if needed. The dell windows copy is about $16 shipped (9 software is one vender that may have it). You will need a valid coa sticker number on your case to reactivate windows, so be sure the dell cd is the same windows version as your system. This is easier than sending in your pc for service.

Just bought it from a used store and they delete the hard drive before they resale the computer. do I need a new hard drive or can I download something
February 14, 2009 5:36:23 PM

Bobby_11 said:
Just bought it from a used store and they delete the hard drive before they resale the computer. do I need a new hard drive or can I download something

Ok heres a list

1. Is there a Microsoft COA sticker on the machine.. It will say XP HOME or Professional on it...

if it does not take it back and make sure you get one.. If he says no, demand a refund and buy one from some where else your being conned,, not that your being conned anyway..

2.. Is there definately a hard disk in there... It might be the reason its not booting up..

3.. How much did you pay for this non working machine... If it turns on it doesnt mean its a working machine...

4 Even if you had a Windows OEM disk you will need the drivers for your pc to make the video, chipset, audio and lan cards work... he should either supply the disks or make the machine boot up and have all the drivers installed.

5 i feel sorry for people like yourself who are at the mercy of scrupulous computer shops... when buying a machine next time make sure it turns on and boots up in to windows. once booted up check for peoples data and if it is virus infected or a corrupted windows registry.

you would have been proberly better of buying of ebay.
February 14, 2009 11:58:26 PM

Although Hellboy is a bit harsh, from the OP's responses, it seems he is best off returning the computer and buying a ready-made fully working computer.

Bobby, you most likely have a hard drive in there, but no Windows or other software. Thus, you would have to buy a copy of Windows (over $100) and install it, along with appropriate "drivers" for your specific computer. These drivers are probably freely available for download from emachines' web site, buy might not be, so they should be supplied for free on a CD by whoever sold the computer to you.

Another option is to try Ubuntu instead of Windows. Ubuntu is free for downloading.
February 15, 2009 6:07:04 AM

Mondoman said:
Although Hellboy is a bit harsh, from the OP's responses, it seems he is best off returning the computer and buying a ready-made fully working computer.

Bobby, you most likely have a hard drive in there, but no Windows or other software. Thus, you would have to buy a copy of Windows (over $100) and install it, along with appropriate "drivers" for your specific computer. These drivers are probably freely available for download from emachines' web site, buy might not be, so they should be supplied for free on a CD by whoever sold the computer to you.

Another option is to try Ubuntu instead of Windows. Ubuntu is free for downloading.

Why am i being harsh Mondoman, its like buying a car and then getting it home on a back of a lorry and its got no steering wheel or something...

He / She should of had a working computer with the OS installed and all the drivers... I cant see the point of anyone buying a non loaded os machine - it makes it useless..

February 16, 2009 8:33:40 AM

I might just sale it for 50.00 and not worry about fixing. I do have a question about my new machine, its an acer aspire and has vista, it seems that I can see the video from the net but 90 % of the time there is no audio, I hav already gone to windows media and checked to see if the codes are downloaded immediatly, it says yes. still doesnt fix the proble, do you know which codecs I need or is there another program to get thanks
February 16, 2009 8:47:55 AM

HB, plenty of people don't want to pay the $50-100 extra for Windows and would rather buy a "bare" computer and load Ubuntu themselves for free. Many actually find that their computer runs faster with Ubuntu than with Windows.

It's not at all obvious that the OP was "conned" or taken advantage of by "[un]scrupulous computer shops"; rather, I got the impression that he just lacks knowledge and needs to be prepared to spend either money buying at a more "full-service" store or time learning more about modern computers.
February 16, 2009 8:54:27 AM

Bobby_11 said:
I might just sale it for 50.00 and not worry about fixing. I do have a question about my new machine, its an acer aspire and has vista, it seems that I can see the video from the net but 90 % of the time there is no audio, I hav already gone to windows media and checked to see if the codes are downloaded immediatly, it says yes. still doesnt fix the proble, do you know which codecs I need or is there another program to get thanks

Download the audio drivers from acer's site
February 16, 2009 1:32:33 PM

Mondoman said:
HB, plenty of people don't want to pay the $50-100 extra for Windows and would rather buy a "bare" computer and load Ubuntu themselves for free. Many actually find that their computer runs faster with Ubuntu than with Windows.

It's not at all obvious that the OP was "conned" or taken advantage of by "[un]scrupulous computer shops"; rather, I got the impression that he just lacks knowledge and needs to be prepared to spend either money buying at a more "full-service" store or time learning more about modern computers.

All pcs from emachines come with a coa of windows on the side...

I just cant seem to get my head round this... If it is not then someone removed the COA - illegal by Microsofts EULA down to the fact that it would have had a emachines license on the code...

It is not illegal to put windows on a machine with OEM disk, I speak to Microsofts activation centre almost daily..

A installed copy of on a machine from a oem disk using origional manufacturers COA is not illegal.
These install from any oem disk with the right version of windows media - ie xp home code requires xp home oem cd, media center requires the media centre CDs etc.

What is illegal is if someone copied the OEM CD - it must be the origional cd with a hologram type image on it...

Why should he have paid 50-100 more for software when all they needed to do was to put a copy on his machine and installed the drivers using the code on the side of the machine.. unless the sticker has been removed illegally and put on another machine...

Hence conned...

February 17, 2009 9:42:03 AM

Sorry, I was thinking about pre-owned computers in general, not all of which have the Windows COA sticker. Makes sense what you said about emachines and the sticker.
February 17, 2009 8:55:22 PM

Mondoman said:
Sorry, I was thinking about pre-owned computers in general, not all of which have the Windows COA sticker. Makes sense what you said about emachines and the sticker.

The only machines with out COA stickers are self builds...

I am a system builder, therefore a OEM Partner...

As a OEM partner i am obliged to put Windows COA on every machine I build. Making Microsoft legit..

Windows OEM is available to dealers in 1 pack and 3 packs for desktop OS's and with 3 packs it comes with an extra CD called a OEM Pre installation disk which allows you to ad logos etc etc to the machine when it boots up.

Ask Dragonslayer to verify what I am saying

OEM works like this...

The reason why OEM disks are cheaper than "retail products" are this..

When the machine is end of life the license dies - end of, ie when you scrap it - finito..

When you sell the machine second hand it should have the origional manufacturers COA with theyre name on it ( if its a big company as their software is bios "locked" and doesnt need activation on certain manufacturers ( Dell for example) and they purchase Windows at a bulk rate with the technology of having a recovery procedure) ( doesnt work if the hard disk gets knackered though)

It does not mean if the motherboard fails and it needs to be replaced that windows is now defunct and you have to buy a new Windows ( If its the same or eqivilent then an activation may be required either online if it goes straight through or through the telephone).

This also happens sometimes when the bios is updated.. Windows detects new hard ware and you have 3 days to activate..

OEM disks ( appart from repair ) have to do a complete install where retail versions are upgradable no mater what from old to new or even putting two os on one machine is easier as OEM needs a blank hard disk to install. OEM will not upgrade from old to new.. end off.

There are more limitations of installing OEM software for automatic activation online i think its two for oem before microsoft get a bit shirty - this is solved by ringing them.. they give u a code to authorise and you have to type it in...6 character boxes which if i remember is 8 of them..

Retail has more activation graces than OEM. By how many, im not sure as i dont use ott priced retail products but put it this way PC World over here sold Windows XP PRo Retail for £250 and oem was around £70-80 depending on dollar / pound exchange rates.

!