Common AC to DC Adapter To Molex Connector

xpcustom

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
First if I got this in the wrong area sorry. I couldn't find a specific area to ask this. So I have a IDE Sata to usb adapter and recently the power adapter that came with it burnt out. So now I have no way of using the adapter since I have no way to supply power to devices. My question was if there was any way to take an old AC to DC adapter found on all sorts of devices and wire a molex connector to it. I have dozens of these things lying around the house and i'm sure one has to have the proper power output. If it is possible then what pins would I need to connect it to? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mondoman

Splendid
Just get a cheap "universal" power adapter. They come with lots of different DC ends and switchable DC power output, so you should be able to match your dead one's output and connector.

xpcustom

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I thought about doing that however I don't know of a universal that has an output of 2 amps. most of the ones I've seen only have around 800mA. The burnt out DC adapter I have had a molex connector on the end of it and an adapter that came with it for a sata drive. It had a power output of 12v with 2A. But I could not figure out why the thing had a second output of 5V 2A. That's kind of what is making me hesitate on whether or not to just do it.