SLI Power Supply

Hristo_97

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
is it worth buying a "SLI Ready" Power supply? I just bought new parts for my computer and it turns out my current power supply isn't compatible.

Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz
nVidia 9600GT SLI Ready
4GB RAM
2 hard drives
DVD/CD RW drive

do i really need to look for an "SLI READY" power supply?

You won't need it until you actually buy a second video card. Return it for credit if you can, or use it for a spare. Newegg had several corsair power supplies on sale yesterday in their email ads.

Hristo_97

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I haven't actually bought a power supply. Thanks though! I won't be using a second video card... not much of a gamer. Newegg is the place to be

As o1die already mentioned you don't need an sli ready power supply. Based on your pc configuration and intended use you do not need a high power psu either. However, you should consider purchasing a high quality, stable, reliable power supply.

Corsair consistently earns high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. Corsair is often recommended by the veteran posters at this forum. Here's a suitable 400 watt psu for $59.99 ($39.99 after mail-in rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Hristo_97

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Thank you for the reply. This Corsair you sent me seems great, but one thing bothers me... its only 400W. The manual for my motherboard recommends at least 550W.

The following stats are based on an overclocked cpu and a single video card at load:

Overclocked Quad-Core CPU - 130 watts

Motherboard & chipsets - 60 watts

2 Memory Modules - 6 watts

2 Hard Drives - 20 watts

optical drive - 20 watts

9600 GT at full load - 85 watts and 7 amps

Total Power: 321 watts

Since you are not going to overclock the cpu you're requirements are a little lower. The wattage for a single 9600GT is fairly low and varies depending on the model and memory. I listed the higher 9600FT wattage.

The source of the information is a recent Tom's Hardware article about actual power requirements for video cards. It also included power requirements for other components:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122.html

Manufacturers have a tendency to overestimate total requirements, especially considering what hardcore gamers into serious overclocking do to their systems.