Sound card huge problem

I have a IBM netvista motherboard and I just put this thing together. I have onboard sound but it will not recognize the hardware. I tried a PCI sound card and it does not see that either. If I put a lan card or phone modem in those slots it will recognoze them but no type of sound device will it see. I have turned on the onboard audio in the bios but the system summary in the bios says "audio support disabled" even though I can toggle it on or off in the setup configuration. This is an 8314 IBM netvista motherboard with 512 mem and 2.2 chip. I have run into this before but was unable to resolve this on an Asus P5a board. Is the board bad or bios lacking an upgrade or what??? Can someone please help?? I'm going nuts over this! :pt1cable:
6 answers Last reply
More about sound card huge problem
  1. Are you sure you installed the drivers for the onboard/soundcard?
  2. I had the a similar problem on an asus board. I eventually just used a sound card. I'm not sure why it wouldn't recognize a pci card. It is a small posiblity the a problem might lie with the pci sound card, the slot the card is installed, or the OS (very unlikely).
  3. bigrussmo said:
    I have a IBM netvista motherboard and I just put this thing together. I have onboard sound but it will not recognize the hardware. I tried a PCI sound card and it does not see that either. If I put a lan card or phone modem in those slots it will recognoze them but no type of sound device will it see. I have turned on the onboard audio in the bios but the system summary in the bios says "audio support disabled" even though I can toggle it on or off in the setup configuration. This is an 8314 IBM netvista motherboard with 512 mem and 2.2 chip. I have run into this before but was unable to resolve this on an Asus P5a board. Is the board bad or bios lacking an upgrade or what??? Can someone please help?? I'm going nuts over this! :pt1cable:

Your problem could involve several areas!
    You didn't mention the OS you were using?
    IBM to start with, in my experience is one of several MFG.'s that produce boards with buses that only recognize specific types of cards.
    Start with BIOS Update, Make certain your BIOS are set for sound on or off for the board
    Install Sound card drivers last(after video drivers) as it can do weird things if you don't.
    After you have checked BIOS, OS, Sound Card software
    Check with card manufacturer for driver updates
    If after you have done the above the only thing remaining is the sound card is incompatible with the IBM configuration. This leaves you with only On-Board sound (check the IBM site regarding this
    Good luck
  4. I re-installed the OS which is Windows XP Pro service pack 2. I just formated the drive and and installed the video driver, nothing else. The board is an Intel 845GLVA chipset. It won't install a PCI or onboard sound card. But it does like all other PCI cards?????? Is there a jumper for PCI sound? THe system summary in the BIOS says "Sound support disabled" but like I said I can toggle onboard audio on and off! This so weird and would like to find out why this is happening. The last time I ran into this it was on an Asus p5a board and I tried all operating system(Home And Pro and ME) but still did the same thing. What is blocking sound from initiating? Device manager shows all codecs and legacy but no speaker icon and sounds are grayed out! Don't make sense!
  5. Hello Again
    I am beginning to think your problem is either the board or XP Pro.

XP I know in certain instances does not recognize certain devices. The way around this is you must manually install the device from a drop down list of devices. After that their was I believe options to install the sound driver

Generally no jumpers are on sound cards at least on soundblaster products

I would try the following
    1. Install the sound card
    2. Boot up PC to bios.
    3. Set bios to support sound card
    4. Save new bios settings
    5. Reboot and install sound card software
    6 Reboot
    7 Check system info in XP Pro to see if it recognized and installed the sound card
    If this works then youu still have to check codecs again, config the speakers etc.
    Hope this helps
  6. He hasn't said a thing about intalling sound drivers yet...even onboard sound needs drivers to work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Sound Cards