Sign in with
Your question

That Porsche wheel case mod we all know of..

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hardware
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 14, 2009 7:48:39 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new here, I was asked to come to a forum such as this one to talk in-detail regarding hardware related queries.

I'm very, read: VERY, interested in doing something similar to the Porsche Wheel case mod that's been really famous, as I'm a car enthusiast. I was hoping if someone here could guide me since I couldn't find anything that wasn't in Russian about the particular mod. I've already thought of a nice 18" Porsche wheel I could use, and I'm nearly set on hardware, but just need to figure out the best way to put it together.

Anyone know much about this? What sorta space would I be looking at? Would a motherboard fit in there without problems? What sorta cooling should I think of? I'd love to stay AWAY from water cooling, but if that's the only way to go then I guess that's how it is. I'm thinking of a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo, an E8500 processor, and either a Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB, or a GTX260 depending on the size and heat necessities.

Any input is appreciated. I'm willing to burn some ~$1000 on the case if need be, so money shouldn't be too much of an issue.

PS: This is the mod incase you don't know what it is -

More about : porsche wheel case mod

February 14, 2009 2:24:53 PM

Space wise it would depend on the size of the wheel rim, and the thickness of the wheel itself. generall you'd want enough space to fit in an ATX motherboard and PSU. Since an ATX board is at most 30.5cm long (or just over 12 inches) I'd say a 17 inch rim would have plenty of space to fit all that you want - you'll want to rearrange parts from the norm of course.

Area wise, having just read that you've an 18 inch wheel (I'll assume the inner diameter is 17 inches), then the area will be (17x2.5) = 42.5cm diameter.

42.5/2 = 21.25cm radius

Area = pi x radius sqaured

so

3.142*(21.25*21.25) = 14.2m squared.

In other words. Plenty of space to fit components into. you might want to pay more attention to the depth of the tyre though - otherwise you're going to have to go for low-profile components in order to get everything to fit, especially where the heatsink (if you're going to have a third party one) and graphics card are concerned.

Cooling wise, air cooling should be fine, but finding a sensible way to channel all that air may well prove a challenge.
February 15, 2009 1:48:10 AM

Just a showy POS to me...Only for looks and ooos and ahhhhs...hardly worth the money.
Related resources
February 15, 2009 3:39:47 AM

Roffey123 said:
Space wise it would depend on the size of the wheel rim, and the thickness of the wheel itself. generall you'd want enough space to fit in an ATX motherboard and PSU. Since an ATX board is at most 30.5cm long (or just over 12 inches) I'd say a 17 inch rim would have plenty of space to fit all that you want - you'll want to rearrange parts from the norm of course.

Area wise, having just read that you've an 18 inch wheel (I'll assume the inner diameter is 17 inches), then the area will be (17x2.5) = 42.5cm diameter.

42.5/2 = 21.25cm radius

Area = pi x radius sqaured

so

3.142*(21.25*21.25) = 14.2m squared.

In other words. Plenty of space to fit components into. you might want to pay more attention to the depth of the tyre though - otherwise you're going to have to go for low-profile components in order to get everything to fit, especially where the heatsink (if you're going to have a third party one) and graphics card are concerned.

Cooling wise, air cooling should be fine, but finding a sensible way to channel all that air may well prove a challenge.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm happy to even look at a 22" wheel (I've found one already, same wheel, but in a 22" size). About fitting in low profile stuff - I don't mind if stuff sticks out the back, cuz I imagine ONE side of it would be facing the wall anyway. What do you think?

I'm definitely thinking of getting a third party cooler for the CPU, since I intend to OC it to 4Ghz, but I'll stick with stock cooler and stock clock on the GPU. As for getting the hot air out - I figured like the person above I'd channel it out through an "exhaust pipe" or a similar sort of arrangement.

What's proving more of a challenge to me is having to make some sort of a "rib" to hold the entire motherboard and components in place, since the wheel area actually ends up being too large for the motherboard. As in, I'd need to custom make a mount that'll hold the shape of the motherboard in it. Further more, I'm guessing I'd have to work some sorta support INTO this mount to actually hold the DVD 5.25" bay and the Memory Card Reader 3.5" bay. I'm thinking of setting them up so that their faces point out from the gaps between the spokes of the wheel.

Imagine that, you press eject disc and the tray pops open between the spokes of the wheel :D 
February 15, 2009 3:40:34 AM

darkside_gamer7 said:
Just a showy POS to me...Only for looks and ooos and ahhhhs...hardly worth the money.

Haha, but man, isn't that the whole point of a custom case?

Just like the point of a body kit on a car :D 
February 15, 2009 4:17:40 AM

I personally think it looks hideous. The back is the biggest eyesore though. But whatever floats your boat. Its a neat concept though and maybe you could make it look better. Remember to post pics of the results.
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2009 2:42:02 PM

@OP: I highly recommend you post this over at xtremesystems: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/
You'll get better help there. And there are world class modders over there. Good luck with the mod :) 
PM Me with the xtremesystems link if you do decide to make a thread there.
April 13, 2013 10:59:33 PM

I like this design. Does anyone has DIY info on this concept ? Is the inside rim protected with glass to protect is from dust ? thanks richi.
!