philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hi.. I made a new rig...
PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU,
Core2Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz,
EVGA 750i FTW motherboard,
EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+,
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2x2GB Dual Channel memory.
Using Vista 64-bit Ultimate with latest motherboard and graphics card drivers installed. (Even checked on XP 32-bit but problem persisted regardless of whether I used both my memory modules or one!)

The problem is that whenever I start playing games, like Crysis or Call of Duty 4, my system freezes (hangs) after like 15 to 20 minutes!!!!!! and I cant do anything.. it doesn't shut down.. just freezes... Otherwise, without running a game I can sit for hours and it works perfectly.... I cannot figure out what the problem is!!! all the voltages suppplied by the power supply are correct according to the BIOS. I cannot see nor feel any overheating even when I touch my mobo or other heatsinks. PLEase help.. suggest!!! i'm so worried, I spent a lot on this rig and i'm not that much of a rich person!!!

I used HWMonitor (latest version,, just downloaded a few days ago).. and idle temperatures of 3 cores are around 46, 47, 43 etc.. and one core is 36 (all temperatures in degrees celcius)
during load i.e. playing crysis etc at high settings.. MAX temperature reached was 61 by one core only.. other cores are around 58 ..and one is around 50.
i didn't set manual settings for RAM... its on auto in BIOS...
manufacturer says ram should work at 1.8 volts... i checked once and the ram was working at 1.9 volts in bios... i manually changed it to 1.8 (that was the min. allowed by the bios).. hoping that it'll solve the prob.. but no way.. the game freezed just like before!

i dont think its overheating... even the GPU is around 37 idle.. and at MAX load... doesn't cross the 71 degrees celcius point!.... stays mostly 70 degrees.

however.. there's one temperature by the name of SYSTIN temperature.. that idles around 86*C and max. during games around 91 and 92 degree celcius.. but i've checked on various forums etc.. and mostly ppl say that this temperature reading is a bug and should be ignored.

-------------------------
A Storm's coming.

Mondoman

Splendid
What's the manufacturer's voltage spec for your RAM? Make sure to set your DIMM voltage in the BIOS accordingly.
It does sound like overheating, though. Could be your north bridge or maybe the PWM area. What CPU cooler are you using? If it's not a downdraft-style like the OEM Intel one, the MB areas adjacent to the CPU may not be getting enough airflow. You could try running the box with the side panel off and pointing a big room fan right at the MB.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

hey thanks for the reply. :)
the manufacturer's recommended voltage for the RAM is 1.8 V.... as i mentioned before, i set it at 1.8V too but that didn't solve the problem..
Im using the stock cpu cooler that came with the cpu... i guess the fan on it sucks air IN towards the heatsink.... i've never seen an intel cooler doing the opposite..

and.. yeah...i would like to mention one more thing... playing on the windows xp, the game freezes like 20 minutes after starting... whereas on vista it freezes just 5 minutes into the game!!!

and whats the PWM area?

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

r u sure????? manufacturer's recommended is 1.8 volts......

r u sure that running at 2.0 v will actually IMPROVE my situation??????

i've never tried changing voltages ever before in my life.. so i have no idea....!!!

OCZ allow their RAM to be run @ 2.2v without voiding the warranty, the 1.8v JEDEC standard is/was not always attainable and as such is more of a baseline rather than a 'set in stone' law.

Also in an earlier post you said that you had changed the voltage from 1.9v to 1.8v, and now you say that you have never changed voltages, so which is it?

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

okayy.... but mine is not OCZ.. its Corsair..
and ..... the other question still remains.. do u really think that running the ram at 2v has a chance of resolving my "freezing during games" problem?

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

hmmm... so... r u suggesting that i should try using 2.1 or 2.2v on the RAM in windows xp 32bit?
i have a windows xp 32 bit with me

Troubleshooting can be a long and arduous process sometimes, and the quick and easy fix may take hours,days or weeks to discover, so if I were in your shoes I would be inclined to re- check the hardware, making sure that cards,modules were seated properly, fans spinning freely, connections all tight and then reformatting and possibly running a dual boot system, that way it's a lot easier to run almost back to back comparisons between OS's to see whether problems occur at the same time/point in whatever application you might be having issues with. As for how high you could take your RAM voltage to, a bit of googling about overclocking might open your eyes to what some RAM modules can actually withstand, still, that might not be what's causing your problem though.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

i'm SOO thankful to you for ur help mousemonkey......
actually i cant stay much longer.. i have to go offline now... can u kindly send me ur email address in private message so that i can contact u the next time i come back on (probably tomorrow)? i'll be going offline right after sending this post so will only be able to check ur private msg tomorrow... once again.. thanks a lot.. and take care!

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
which exact one escapes me but there were some really crap chipset drivers out a while back. they were bad enough Nvidia pulled them from their site. what version chipset drivers are you running?

Glad I could help, you're better off just PM'ing me through THG as I rarely check my emails but I do like to peruse the forums whilst out and about (read at work [:mousemonkey] ) and it's pretty much the same thing anyway.

Good point mate, I'm having to run Vista's own chipset drivers, as any Nvidia ones result in the dreaded BSOD on my 680i rig.

danv006

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

Hi Guys, i have a EVGA 750i + 4 GB Corsair XMS2 ... like you and i am running windows Vista.

I have the same problem, and i dindt find anything to solve my problem. If you could share what you have done ... tks in advance.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
mousemonkey is on point on the memory voltages. i would bump it up to 2.2. if it still freezes, i would download memtest and check for memory errors.
on a side note.. if you are running Ntune uninstall it. it causes more problems then it ever solved.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

hi roofus.... as u can clearly see its been quite a long time since i posted this problem here... all that time i've worked on it a lot and i think i've found out whats the problem... (the solution aint that easy for me to do .. so here goes):

i ran everest ultimate edition 5 .... and put everything on full load... hard disk, ram, processor, motherboard etc.. (EXCEPT graphics card coz everest cant do it).... and it ran for a LOT of time.. without freezing or hanging up... with all 4 cores working perfectly.

i was so delighted .. i thought the problem's gone.. then i ran a game... and like 2 or 5 minutes into the game.... and there!... its frozen just like before...

that makes me 100% sure that its a problem with my graphics card.. probably the graphics card's chipset is buggy and cannot work with multithreaded CPUs...... damn!... EVGA has been my TOP FAVOURITE ever.. (they still are)... but its a really bad thing thats happened...

and i cant even RMA it.. coz i'm living in pakistan.. and my bro purchased it in USA for me and sent it over... :(

i'm stuck with using a single core.... i'm looking forward to testing it using a freind's graphics card to just make sure my already assured conclusions... if it doesn't hang with it then i'll get a new card.. (the problem is.. none of my friends are that much enthusiastic gamers as i am.. so none of them has a pci express 2.0 card!!!)

anywayzz... thanks a lot for suggesting and helping...... what do u think about what i have said so far in this post?