drums101

Distinguished
Ok so I have a Asus P6t Deluxe V2 an i7 950 and 6gb of Corsair Dominator Ram rated at 1600mhz 7-7-7-20. So when I first got the parts I overclocked my i7 to 4ghz no problem the only issue I had was that I couldnt get the Ram to run at its stock speed. So I kinda gave up thinkin I wouldnt see much of a diff between 1300mhz and 1600mhz. But this started to bug me so I looked into it and I learned about this XMP stuff. So I enabled the XMP profile and it set my ram at the right settings at the right latancys and the right speed. But then I started to notice I got random reboots. My pc would shut off then wait 2 seconds and reboot as if nothin happened no blue screen nothing. This would happen at random times when I jus turn it on or in the middle of heavy gaming. So i looked it up and I kinda got the feeling that its a ram issue. So could it be one of my sticks going bad? I have tried flashing my bios to the latest one and it seemed to help at first but then it was back to its old ways again. Anyone have any ideas? my next step is to take out a stick of ram one at a time and see if it still shuts off on me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One other thing is if I disable the xmp profile and set the ram settings myself I cant find the latency settings and when i try to boot into windows i get a blue screen with stop code ending in 9c UPDATE: So I ran memtest and the results came back clean no errors. So right now I am running Prime95 blend test to test the ram i have a feeling now that it might not be the ram so I am completely lost I would think that if my system is completely stable with prime95 and memtest then it wouldnt have this issue. Could that mean its video card related? I know it is not harddrive cuz i have recently switched to a SSD and i had a problem both before and after the swtich another weird thing is that everytime this crashes i feel like it has something to do with bc2.....i exit the game and sometimes it crashes i am playing the game and sometimes it crashes idk this is really freakin me out.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Random reboot usually means either something's overheating or something doesn't have enough power.

1.) What's your power supply, and what other hardware is in your system?
2.) What voltages have you set for the CPU and RAM?
3.) What temperatures do your CPU and video card(s) hit under full load?

drums101

Distinguished

Other components in the system are 750watt PCP&C silencer and two BFG GTX 285s in SLI.....the voltage to the CPU is 1.23750 the ram is 1.66...The video cards hit like 65c under load cuz i have the fans at 100% all the time and the cpu hits 68c in prime95 small ffts test. I have torture tested my cpu with prime 95 for 8 hours and it was all stable. I just ram a memtest on the ram and that came out with no errors. The thing is that I have had it at these overclocked speeds for a long time now. I dont think its overheating because one time i booted up my pc and it restarted within 5 seconds of being in windows. And I can play games for hours without it rebooting on me other times. I know that my psu is kinda weak for my system but again i have had the psu since I built this pc and idk why all of the sudden it would cause an issue now.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Power supplies lose power as they age. I also have a 750W, and it makes sizzling sounds when I stress my system with two GTX 260s if I overclock them.

Run the prime 95 torture test concurrently with Furmark and see if anything happens then.

drums101

Distinguished
lol ok thats a good idea i never thought about running both tests at once....i jus recently bought a device to measure the power draw of my pc from the wall....it will be here tonight so im gonna see how many watts my pc draws from the wall......quick psu question if its rated at 750watts and is 83% effiecent does that mean it actually deleivers 83% of 750watts, 623watts or does that mean that it can deleiver the full 750 watts but to do that it draws 904watts from the wall?

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

It'll deliver 83% to your devices. Max power draw from the wall will be 750.

drums101

Distinguished
Ok so I tested the power draw from the wall and it gave me the max reading to be 758watts so thats right at the limit i am really pushing it i am going to try video card drivers first and see if that stops the random reboots if not then im gonna try and remove one of my 285s and see if that stops it.

drums101

Distinguished
Ok so its not the video card drivers.... I dont think its the psu either because first when i game it only goes to no more then 650watts. and second when it shuts off and restarts it follows the same exact pattern when there is a setting in the bios that doesnt work so i am going to put everything back to defaults and then turn them up one by one to see what exactly it is thats wrong