Sign in with
Your question

Mass storage speeds

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2010 3:27:59 AM

I am wanting to purchase a 2TB HDD. I will be using it mostly for media -- specifically recording TV and watching movies. I currently have a 1.5TB Seagate (Here on Newegg) at 7200 RPM, but I am wondering for my second drive (the larger 2TB) for my needs does speed make a difference? I've noticed that 5400 and 5900 RPM models run cheaper and "cleaner" like this WD Caviar Green WD20EADS(Here on Newegg) which I found for $99... or the same HDD with 64MB cache, the Caviar Green WD20EARS (Here on Newegg) which runs at least $130, but is the extra cache worth the cash? haha.

I've noticed that there is no specified RPM for these two drives, but almost everyone agrees they run lower between 5400 and 5900. The rest of my specs should be in my sig. Also any advice in buying a HDD is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

More about : mass storage speeds

a c 415 G Storage
April 28, 2010 4:38:17 AM

Even the slower green drives can transfer data much more quickly than you need for recording or watching TV or movies. So you won't see any difference for those purposes - the most likely place you'd see a difference is if you want to copy movie files to or from the drive.
m
l
May 3, 2010 7:39:57 PM

external? is that a must? go for internal transfer rates are faster... there is no lag from USB recognition.
m
l
May 3, 2010 7:54:56 PM

paulcooperorama said:
external? is that a must? go for internal transfer rates are faster... there is no lag from USB recognition.

Um... Nothing was said about an external HDD. I'm all about internal.
m
l
!