New system put together, wont detect either SATA drives

AeroGear

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Hello everyone,

I've finished putting together my new PC using the following mobo:
asus rampage formula

I have a 1.5 TB seagate SATA HDD and a SATA dvd drive
Both the DVD and HDD are plugged in their SATA connectors and supplied with power, however they dont react (boot) during startup.

Both seem to be detected in the bios (I can see their hardware name), but none are detected during boot sequence, rendering me unable to boot with a cd or dvd. There is a "freeDos" that prompts and offers me to create a floppy disk with intel 32bit drivers (I'm assuming these are for win xp 32 bit since its the OS I'm planning on installing), or intel 64 drivers.

The problem is I dont own a floppy drive, I can get one at a computer store but I was wondering if its possible to install the very same driver using an usb key. Maybe there's a simpler workaround requiring me only to play around in the Bios but I dont know much about advanced settings. I assumed a pretty actual MOBO would actually support SATA right out of the box!

Thanks!

jeteryankees22

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008
Hmm, my initial reaction was flash the bios but since you can't use the dvd either that's probably not the case...I guess I'd make sure the sata's are turned on in the bios, also, sometimes you set them as IDE.

AeroGear

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Why not? Its not really expensive anymore. I hate making backup dvds or cds. Music, movies, games, photos, I could probably fill it already with all the media I have laying around.

I can always grab an IDE dvd drive from my other computer but I will be left with the same HDD problem. I believe winXP does'nt support/detect SATA drives for the install.

I set the HDD as IDE compatible but it did'nt give any result. I'll have more time to tinker with it tomorrow once I'm back from work :/

The HDD or DVD has to be SATA though, I only have 1 IDE connector available on my mobo.

infotech2112

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I have the same mainboard . All I had to do to install XP was set the drives as IDE compatible and set the boot order to boot from the DVD drive first and put the XP cd in and run setup.

AeroGear

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
But did you use an IDE dvd drive or a SATA one? I can swap my SATA Samsung DVD drive for an IDE one until XP is set up on the computer.

As it is now, my DVD drive doesnt boot at all even if its set as first on boot sequence, I guess I'll have to check wether or not I did set it to IDE compatible but it seems this option is only available for the HDD, I'll verify it as soon as I get home.