Went Wrong

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe someone can help me out here. Well you know the green loading bar on vista before the splash screen..?

ok that loading bar used to show only 5 times before windows loads up... and now its about 26 times... this happened after
i took my rams out and placed them back in...

i took'em out just to show friends how the dominator looks...then when i put them back in and started my pc up... i had that problem with the green loading bar taking alot longer then passing by 5 times...

i even tried to put my rams in the other color dimms slots, still no luck...anyone know or have any advice on what i can do to make my green loading bar go back to 5 passes??

Also..i have another questions since im here...this is my new pc i just built...amd phenom II 940@ 3.77ghz...4gb ram corsair dominator .. new OS and all startup prgrams disabled, that are useless...and it loads very fast... but the problem is when i click a program to open...it does nothing for about 1 minute then the program opens... (Vista Ultimate 32bit...)

but with my old pc...amd 9500 quad core stock @2.2ghz 3gb ram came with the pc prebuilt.....with old OS and all startup programs disabled, that are useless...loads as fast as my new one.. and i can even open any program right away with no lag no wait... (Vista Home 32bit)

Any one know why this is like this? P.S both computers have exactly the same programs on them...

For the problem with the slow boot. Look in the bios to make sure the quick boot is enabled.

For the delay in windows, open your task manager and watch the performance to see if the cpu or RAM is being tapped out. You should also check the cpu performance column under the process tab to see what processes are running at the time of the lag.

a Couple of things
(1) When you removed your memory, Did you Cut the power to the PSU (Rocker SW in back of PS, or unplug. If you just Powered off, windows power off - Your MB still had some power going to the MB.
(2) Use prime 95 to test memory. Memtest is great for testing memory prior to loading operating system, or making changes to your system suck as changing memory or overclocking. But prime 95 (or orthoes) tends to identify problems with memory that memtest does not catch.
(3) Use CPUZ to verify cpu/memory are running correctly (Proper frequency)
(4) You did use proper ESD prevention when removing, handling, and reinstalling your memory

Refer Slow program loading, +1 for aford10 comments. Also note HD activity at time of clicking Program. Also check on "how to improve Vista performance" (can do a search on this topic.

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Guys i tried all that been there done that...but i greatly apreciate your help...i just reinstalled my OS and everything is back to normal... thnx again...you guys here at tomshardware are the best..fast replies and you tend to know everything thats why i love it here...+1 for everyone who tried to help me...

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
@ retired..i did not cut the power to the psu although i shoulda, i did not know that...but i did press the switch off button at the back of the computer case...
maybe if i did pull the power off, it woulda saved me from reinstalling my OS... but its too late for that and now i know for the next time...thnx bro

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I was always tought that when doing stuff to the inside of your computer you have it plugged into the mains so power is going through it (not on) and ground yourself to it?

have I heard wrong?

luvkush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
@ rain1406 yea before u move anything or change things around inside your case...You must turn off your power to the psu or unplug it...iunoe where you heard that from about leaving the power on, but yea thats not the right thing to do xD cheers.

aford10 - It is best to leave the power cord pluged in and use the rocker switch in back to power off the Computer. Myself, I have one of thoes old switch units that has a master switch and also individual switches.

Rational on leaving pluged in is that the Ground wire (AC) is providing a ground. By disconnecting the AC Gnd you have removed the path to bleed off the charge.
You can unplug unit, but the case is just a lump of metal - better than nothing, but not as good as leaving the "Ground Wire" connected.