Sign in with
Your question

Will you notice a difference with a sound card?

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2009 6:43:20 PM

My music crackles (or is a little unclear i cant really describe it) when i crank it up on max volume, I am not sure if it is because of my $10 speakers (they sound really good unless i crank it up).

My questions are:
1. Is the unclear noise due to the speakers or the lack of a sound card?
2. Will i notice a difference with movies and music with a sound card?
3. Will i notice different sounds with a sound card in GAMES?

I will definitely get new speakers if i get a sound card but for now i need to figure out if a sound card is a good idea.
February 14, 2009 7:00:46 PM

No, pretty much the only thing a sound card gives you is extra audio out ports

and $10 speakers? wow you must have been hit hard by the recession. Get some speakers which cost a few hundred dollars or high end headphones for about $70 or more and you'll hear a difference, probably.
February 20, 2009 1:34:40 PM

1, 2) First upgrade your speakers that will help the most.

Installing a sound card will sound better, but most people are fine with the onboard sound (personally I prefer installing a sound card, even my old audigy2 still sounds better than onboard sound)

3) EAX enabled with games does add depth to the game imo
February 24, 2009 6:07:43 PM

If you're going to get some decent speakers or headphones you may notice the difference in a good soundcard, but as long as your're at the <$100 speaker range I'd not bother investing in a soundcard, onboard sound has come a long way and it takes at least a reasonable PC speaker to begin to resolve the higher resolution you get with a discrete sound card, IMO.
!