Will you notice a difference with a sound card?

My music crackles (or is a little unclear i cant really describe it) when i crank it up on max volume, I am not sure if it is because of my $10 speakers (they sound really good unless i crank it up).

My questions are:
1. Is the unclear noise due to the speakers or the lack of a sound card?
2. Will i notice a difference with movies and music with a sound card?
3. Will i notice different sounds with a sound card in GAMES?

I will definitely get new speakers if i get a sound card but for now i need to figure out if a sound card is a good idea.
3 answers Last reply
More about will notice difference sound card
  1. No, pretty much the only thing a sound card gives you is extra audio out ports

and $10 speakers? wow you must have been hit hard by the recession. Get some speakers which cost a few hundred dollars or high end headphones for about $70 or more and you'll hear a difference, probably.
  2. 1, 2) First upgrade your speakers that will help the most.

Installing a sound card will sound better, but most people are fine with the onboard sound (personally I prefer installing a sound card, even my old audigy2 still sounds better than onboard sound)

3) EAX enabled with games does add depth to the game imo
  3. If you're going to get some decent speakers or headphones you may notice the difference in a good soundcard, but as long as your're at the <$100 speaker range I'd not bother investing in a soundcard, onboard sound has come a long way and it takes at least a reasonable PC speaker to begin to resolve the higher resolution you get with a discrete sound card, IMO.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Speakers Music Components