CL4 vs CL6, NO gaming rig

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
hi !

i wonder, how slower will be my system if i install CL6 DDR2 800MHz RAMs ?
now, i have 2G, dual channel, geil CL4-4-4-12 memory sticks, and i'd like to install 4GBs (and remove the 2GB). figured out' that kingston's 4GB CL6 dual channel ddr kit (and not just kingston) is exactly half the price of a geil 4GB dual channel cl4 radiatored mem kit. so what's the big thing ? a non gamer, linux system user what drawbacks will have because of those 2 cycles (CL6 vs CL4) ? will be the system really really damn slow ? or with only everyday applications, like web browsers, virtual machines, octave's mathematical computing (need for university sometimes for AI classes) will be a significant slowdown ?
i'm asking this , because my mobo has 4 memory sockets, currently 2 are used, but 8G is the limit. of course, i'd like the swap partition to be deactivated (sometimes for linuxes is good for a swap partition if there is not enough memory, just like M$'s pagefile.sys), hate when hard drive is working like hell because of virtual memory reading/writing.

my specs :
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (NOT overclocked, don't even want to OC)
Asus M2A-VM (AMD 690G) (don't want to change it, it's very good for me, maybe in the future. bought it 1.5 years ago for 75$, so it's perfect)
(curently) 2GB dual channel geil CL4 radiatored 800MHZ ddr2 ( http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showGallery/id/65 )
onboard video (ati x1250) (as i said, NO GAMES ! games for those, who cannot do anything and have a lot of time)
2x250G seagate sata2 hdds (ST3250613AS - or very similar with AS at the end)
ubuntu 8.10 X64 (don't want to buy a crap windows again. i'm still sad beacause troving out 100$ for a damn cursed windows xp home ed. licence 3 years ago. it's full of bugs, lots of explorer, other program errors. it was a waste of money)

so i would be glad if you would reply to this thread
cheers

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Im guessing you dont live in the U.S. so,

Loose timings will provide nice stability/can be oc'd pretty descent.
Tight timings will be more in performance/some stablility/faster clocking inbetween fps.

If you dont ever game CL5-CL6 is just fine.