Really High CPU Temp reading - Faulty Sensors?

paser

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hey, i recently put together my new computer. I have a q8200 with the stock heatsink running on a Gigabyte EP45 UD3R. I am prty sure the heatsink is installed correctly and it does not wiggle and can not be pressed down further. In bios my idle temp is 49 degrees Celsius, but once i load windows coretemp/speed fan tell me im @ 63 degrees Celsius. I ran Prime95 for a bit over an hour and I did not crash or have any errors, but coretemp/speedfan both said i was over 100 degrees or couldnt get a read out any more. I have my BIOS set to give me a warning when temps are 70 celsius or higher. Considering my CPU would have melted running @ > 100 C for over an hour, is it safe to say the sensor is not working? I experience no lag, and have not crashed a single time.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
49 is the BIOS is REALLY high. Please reseat the the heatsink.

You rCPU will run at that temp as long as you let it. It will shut itself off at 102 C or around there. You haven't damaged it or anything, but it is running too hot.

take the heatsink off and make sure the thermal pastes is spread over the entire CPU and that is is making contact with the Heatsink.

Good luck!

paser

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH! it was on wrong , so i got an arctic cooler and now bios reading is 25 C, under 60 C during prime95, i had the AC before but i couldnt get the pins to work, i maned up and it did work! thanks a bunch for all ur help