My friend built this system some time ago:

Windows xp pro 32bit

Gigabyte P45 DS3L

E8500 w stock cooler (non oc)

leadtek 260gtx

2x2gb corsair ddr2 800

corsair 650tx psu

wd 7200 hdd

Which imo is a nice gaming system for the price, he built it to play crysis on only 1280x1024, but it lags in crysis!?
We updated crysis to the newest version, and all other drivers are the newest. But crysis is still pretty choppy with low framerates and slow mouse response, how come??? We need to reduce graphics alot for it to run smooth.

This problem does only occur in crysis, the computer runs COD4/L4D/Bioshock fantastic with very high fps.

But he is still pretty that he built it more or less for crysis, and it cant run that game? Is that normal, will it help to buy an aftermarket cooler and oc the cpu+gpu?

I have already told him crysis is **** and he shouldnt worry about it :)

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Yet another Crysis post... why even bother with it? The game is lame anyways...
At that resolution its using more of your cpu than GPU. The 260 wouldn't make much of a difference. COD4/Bioshock and the others are not that demanding so it runs fine.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
w/ that setup, get an aftermarket cooler, OC your cpu as high as possible on stock voltage, and watch your fps go up. [no additional heat, but fps gain]

With most games, the CPU would be the bottleneck at that resolution.
Crysis is an exception.
Unfortunately, Crysis, while not a bad game, was terribly coded/written.
As such, it plays terribly when you turn the settings up on every system.

Tell your friend to turn off AA and download the Natural Mod.
Not only does the natural mod make the game look amazing, it optimises your settings to get the best visuals and framerate.
The only other option he has is to start turning settings down until he is happy with the performance.

rasmusp123

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Ok, thanks for the replies. Will try to fiddle around with the setting/get the natural mod and maybe oc depending on the result.

G

PFFF!!!

He should have spent some money on a better monitor first :na:

Yeah OC the cpu to like 3.6, 3.8 which will be easy on a e8500 and he'll see a massive improvement

Really, if you want to play crysis on max settings decently you need something insane like triple SLi 280s. He probably should have spent a bit more money to go with the GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R motherboard instead and gone with two 4870 1GBs, and a Rifle cooler to overclock his CPU.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I never have understood the reason people will go and build a $2500 machine specifically to play a $40 game. Crysis looks pretty, but the gameplay sucks, the story is sub-par and the only real good thing are the graphics. I really think the concept is good, but the overall end-result was a C- at best.

chuccck

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
^+1 agreed.

Ninja edit: awesome avitar rubix. I am in the process of building a new rig just cause my old one doesn't handle Red Alert 3 to my liking!

wmdwmd123

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I like Crysis but idk about you guys I run Crysis at that resolution very high and get 45fps average (no aa, af), and my system is very comparable with his, my cpu is the e8400 (oc'd but not since I last played Crysis), my gpu is the 4870 1 gb, 2x 2gb ddr2ram 800... 7200rpm harddrive and 650w psu, am I just lucky because his system sounds good