Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking i7-920 with TurboV

Last response: in Overclocking
March 25, 2010 8:35:26 PM

I'm pretty new to overclocking, and I'm a bit apprehensive about going into the bios right away. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using turboV and knew which settings would produce a stable overclock to around 3.5-4 GHz. I'm air cooling with a Vigor Monsoon III LT in an antec 900 case, so I'm pretty sure I won't run the risk of overheating.

full specs:
antec 900 case
asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard
intel core i7 920
Vigor Monsoon iii LT CPU cooler
12GB 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24 Low Latency patriot viper ram
LG super multi blue BD/DVD/CD drive
2 x sapphire radeon hd 4890 vapor-x edition graphics cards (crossfire)
WD caviar black 1TB HD
antec true power quatro 850 PSU
March 27, 2010 8:07:22 PM

bejabbers said:
I'm pretty new to overclocking, and I'm a bit apprehensive about going into the bios right away. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using turboV and knew which settings would produce a stable overclock to around 3.5-4 GHz. I'm air cooling with a Vigor Monsoon III LT in an antec 900 case, so I'm pretty sure I won't run the risk of overheating.

full specs:
antec 900 case
asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard
intel core i7 920
Vigor Monsoon iii LT CPU cooler
12GB 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24 Low Latency patriot viper ram
LG super multi blue BD/DVD/CD drive
2 x sapphire radeon hd 4890 vapor-x edition graphics cards (crossfire)
WD caviar black 1TB HD
antec true power quatro 850 PSU

Hi there,

I am not very experienced myself, but I can definitely give you some advice about TurboV.

For a stable 3.5 GHz CPU clock, you should aim for something like 175 MHz while using a CPU voltage of 1.2/1.22V (I had to add 0.0625V to the 1.2V for achieving Prime95 stability, possibly because it will consequently change the default BIOS setting from auto to 1.21V) and a multiplier of 20 (I think it is set by default). I seem to remember that it will not use turbo boost at these frequencies (multiplier will not go to 21).

REMEMBER to increased the clock slowly. I had a couple of crashes but with no side effects.

In principle, you should not have any heating problems as it will dissipate less power that the default 133 MHz clock * 21 multiplier (turbo boost), since by default the stock CPU voltage of the CPU is increased to 1.26. If you keep energy saving features (I think also default), it will slow down to 175*12= 2100MHz in idle (as opposed to 1600 MHz in the default version). Surprisingly enough, CPUID HWMonitor reads also smaller power drain in the overclocked case (27.20W) compared to the default settings (49.28W). I really do not get it, but that is the way it is.

Good luck,

PrivateJoh
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 27, 2010 9:56:28 PM

Though I can sympathize with the feeling of intimidation regarding BIOS changes it's still far better to take ones time and understand what the changes mean in the BIOS than it is to rely on utilities that often make changes one is not aware of until it's too late.

I'm sure some will disagree but that's my feeling in so far as OC'ing goes.

The best place to start is here....... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overcl...
!