Your question

After POST then loop starts

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Intel
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 23, 2009 3:45:50 PM

I built a custom PC with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-D3SR motherboard, Intel P45 chipset, and Intel Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor, CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 RAM and XP Pro s.p.3; System has run fine for about 2 weeks.

I was downloading the latest graphics driver for my ATI Fire GL V3350 and when I executed the driver installer, it processed about half way through and then stopped and a dialog said it could not complete, so I went back to the exe file and tried to execute again, but it would not even start, so I deleted the exe file and downloaded again from the ATI driver site and executed. This time it loaded and said I needed to re-start the system.

Upon re-start, the PC posted, showed the Gigabyte banner, and then started looping through another post, Gigabyte banner, and so forth.

I've tried addessing the BIOS, and the CMOS setup, but no go, it just continues to loop. Can you help ?

More about : post loop starts

March 23, 2009 8:39:48 PM

Try clearing the CMOS.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 24, 2009 1:55:46 AM

Catch it during the BIOS display, and do a 'Load Optimized Defaults' - should at least get you booting...
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2009 5:03:42 AM

You can boot into safe mode and restore it to before your driver update.
m
l
March 24, 2009 5:26:16 AM

Sounds like the driver causing the reboot, go to safe mode and or reformat and reinstall if you cant get safemode to boot. Nice rig :) 
m
l
March 24, 2009 1:11:11 PM

Thank You all. I will get back with the successful repair, once it is found.
m
l
March 31, 2009 3:23:07 AM

1813493,2,80182 said:
Try clearing the CMOS.[/quotems

Tried clearing the CMOS. Didn't help. Same problem still.
Thanks
m
l
March 31, 2009 3:24:13 AM

bilbat said:
Catch it during the BIOS display, and do a 'Load Optimized Defaults' - should at least get you booting...

Can't get into BIOS. So stated in inquiry.

Thanks anyway
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2009 3:45:53 AM

Your first effort should be doing a system restore in safe mode to before your driver update.

Hit f8 upon boot and choose safe mode.
m
l
March 31, 2009 6:16:46 PM

Hitting F8 does no good. The system is not responding to ANY keystrokes including
all other utility macros. Thanks anyway
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2009 11:03:31 PM

Then you have more of a problem than the drivers. If you're not getting as far as the bios access, you have a hardware problem.

Since you indicated there were problems with the video, that may be a good place to start. Glance through the case and make sure everything is seated securely.

If you can get your hands on another video card, you may want to swap in a new one.
m
l
March 31, 2009 11:52:25 PM

:bounce: 

I want to thank all of you who responded with propositions for repairing
my PC fault. I NOW HAVE IT REPAIRED. ( :lol:  )

Since my problem started with the download of an ATI Video card driver, I called ATI Tech help although I could not reach them during their hours of operation (hours Mon-Thur 8-5:30 EST; Fri 8:00-3:00) The Tech I spoke with was extremely helpful and gave me the following steps to try:

Trial steps:

1. Shut down and unplug all USB except required hardware, then try to boot to F8 SAFEMODE, then select “Last known good start” to get back into Windows. Call tech help again for further instructions

If that doesn’t work;

2. Shut down and unplug router, boot to F8 SAFEMODE, then select “Last known good start” to get back into Windows. Call tech help again for further instructions.

If that doesn’t work;

3. Shut down and remove all expansion cards, except the ATI card, boot to F8 SAFEMODE, then select “Last known good start” to get back into Windows. Call tech help again for further instructions.

If that doesn’t work, call tech help again @ 1-866-284-2093.

No. 1 worked for me and after getting back into operation I tried each
USB "type" to make sure they would not clog the works.

Thanks again everyone

m
l
April 8, 2009 12:31:52 AM

Mondoman said:
Try clearing the CMOS.

Thanks, I did that, but to no avail. The solution was to uplug all of my UBS peripherals & re-start. Voila, It worked, then I plugged the UBS
in one at a time and re-started. Apparently there was a conflict between some equipment.
m
l
April 8, 2009 12:35:46 AM

Mondoman said:
Try clearing the CMOS.

bilbat said:

It began to loop after the post, but before BIOS display. It would not respond to any key stroke. Thanks, The solution was to uplug all of my UBS peripherals & re-start. Voila, It worked, then I plugged the UBS in one at a time and re-started. Apparently there was a conflict between some equipment.
m
l
!