Do I need reinstall OS after replacing the Mobo and CPU?

dcogdell

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
The OS would be XP pro 32 bit. Why is it necessary to reinstall os when upgrading mobo and cpu? or is it necessary? What steps would be used to skip the install of os if the previous system was running correctly before upgrade?

One of the biggest problems with plugging your hard drive into a new board is the HAL file (Hardware Abstract Layer) is not setup for that board and it's resources. You might not need to re-install XP...a "repair" might be all you need.

Put your XP CD in the CD/DVD drive and boot with it.

Load 3rd party RAID drivers if needed during initial setup by pressing F6 key when prompted.

Allow setup to load and launch

Eventually it will ask if you want to do a repair using the repair console, or install XP. Choose to install XP.

Setup will look around at your system and discover you already have XP installed on the drive and ask if you want to repair it. Here you choose yes and allow setup to repair Windows. Do NOT allow setup to format the hard drive (leave file system intact) if it offers. It will appear to be installing XP all over again, even asking for your CD key again, and take just as much time to repair as the original install did, but it will eventually finish and restart.

After XP starts up you must install motherboard resources (drivers) and a new .Net Framework, DirectX and all updates you desire.

Good luck, it might save you from reloading all your programs.

So true. I said the everlasting blank-check answer of "might" hoping for the best. It was late and I should have said that too. Thanks for the follow-up. :) OP would be really wondering what gives if that is the case.