Wireless Interference

Sirdudeness

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
How drastic is the interference with 802.11b wireless and cordless 2.4 ghz phones? Are certain brands susceptible more than others? Any comments would be great.

I'm looking to set up a wireless network next year in my house. Everyone has a cordless, so I'm wondering wether or not its worth going to 802.11g since its 5 ghz?

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
From what is saw in some experiments, the cordless phone I used was more prone to go to the channels 1,2,10,11 (the cordless phone is frequency hoping so it does not stay on the same channel as 802.11 does). But the channel pattern used depends on the manufacturer of the phone, and you can't really know unless you experiment. Some phones first listen to their environment and then select the channels that have less interference.

The cordless phone have to be at least 6m away from the access point for reliable operation. The problem comes from the fact that the transmit power of the cordless phone is higher than the one used by 802.11 devices so you have to be carefull. By the way 802.11g is also in 2.4 ghz band; it's 802.11a that is in the 5ghz. And you will have a lot less range using 802.11a. So I suggest going for b (or g if you need the extra speed.)

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies