No post after incorrect installation of megahalems

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I wasn't sure where to post this so I think since it's closely related the the heatsink why not.

I feel like a complete idiot for having done this but here goes...

I installed my prolimatech megahalems today but with one problem. I used a backplate that came with a true 120. Not knowing that there was acutally a difference between the one provided and the one I had. Now the difference was that the true backplate had shorter threads. Therefore making the megahalems fit much tighter. Now it sure did seem like a ton of pressure but I (for some reason) went through with it.

As of now, I have the proper backplate on it and it fits correctly, but now I have a huge problem.
The computer won't post, no beeps, no monitor activity, although everything powers up normally. HDDs spin up, fans on, cd drive on.

Comp details.
Phenom II X4 965 CPU
gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P MOBO
5870 GPU
4gb a-data RAM
corsair 750tx PSU

bragle

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Try clearing the CMOS. Either remove the battery and wait for a few hours or use a jumper to clear the information manually (check your board's manual). Make sure to remove all power from the board when doing this.

Also, try removing the cooler and reseating the processor. When you cranked down the previous cooler, the act of removing it might have unseated the chip or messed it up in some way.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

I appreciate the help, but none of that info helped in solving the problem.
I know how to install a cooler, I just used the wrong backplate which caused too much mounting pressure.

I think it's pretty much narrowed down the the mobo. I tried the processor in a different computer and it worked fine. I cleared the CMOS with the battery and jumper method. Neither worked.
Everything worked perfectly fine before installing the cooler.