Sign in with
Your question

Cant reach 4 GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
March 26, 2010 6:59:07 AM

Here are my specs:
Gigabyte ma790x-ud4p
Phenom II x2 555BE with extra 2 cores unlocked.
Ampco Wintec DDR2 6400 2 X 1G.
Antec Earthworks 500W PSU.
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler.
ATI Radeon HD4350 GPU.

I am running stable via Prime95 at 3.9 GHz with the extra 2 cores unlocked at 19.5 multi and 1.525v and max temps at 55-56C.
I had to set the acc value for cores 3 and 4 to +12. My ram and HT are all running stock speed. There are other voltages that I can change like the cpu nb. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get to 4 GHz? I will post a pic of my bios page if any one needs to see it.

More about : reach ghz

a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 2:33:35 PM

I would recomend not trying if 3.9 is stable use it 4 will not help you do anything better exept have a slightly bigger E-peen. I can say this from my own personal exp have a q9400 that i tried for ages to get to 4 and it blue screened and got all choppy and such I found no diffrence in speed at the 3.8 I decided to stick with so i could actually have fun using my computer. :)  I mean 2.66 to 3.8 big jump and can tell the diffrence but the 100 mhz you are fighting for will not pay out that much. Get water cooling if you really like that 4 I guess.

T
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 2:41:32 PM

Bumping the Northbidge voltage is probably you answer but be very careful not to go too high. Also make sure you have good cooling on that northbridge too.

I am not sure on the specs for AMDs and northbridge voltage but I know with my Intel when I bumped my NB up to 1.4 I was able to acheive higher clock speeds.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 2:54:54 PM

4Ghz on a 555BE might just be reachable even on air since it is only 800Mhz OC from its stock speed of 3.2Ghz. I myself OC'd my 720BE up to 3.7Ghz ( 900Mhz ) that survived for 1 hour in Prime. That is a 900Mhz OC. Of course the closer to 4.0Ghz the more challenging it is even for a 555BE.

Maybe this will help: If your RAM Timing is too tight, try to loosen it first specially from 2T to 1T. If this does not help, try at 1 stick RAM first as it is possible that the RAM may be holding you back.
March 26, 2010 8:47:32 PM

nice call randomkid the ram could be whats holding him back but there are other ways to keep his timeing without haveing to back them down one to get 4.0 ghz northbridge freg needs to be between 2400 to 2600 to your northbridge voltage does not need to be that high 1.3 should be fine to up your ddr2 voltage to stable up your ram 1.8 to 1.9 should do and 2 make sure u have a top aftermarket cpu cooler like a zelman 9900 or coolmaster extrem cooler both do a really good job
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 11:38:17 PM

Yes, of course there are many more means. Loosening the timing is just is one of solution just to test whether it is the CPU or RAM that is holding him back.

He already got a V8 which I believe is also among the top.
March 27, 2010 12:40:15 AM

ellric46 said:
nice call randomkid the ram could be whats holding him back but there are other ways to keep his timeing without haveing to back them down one to get 4.0 ghz northbridge freg needs to be between 2400 to 2600 to your northbridge voltage does not need to be that high 1.3 should be fine to up your ddr2 voltage to stable up your ram 1.8 to 1.9 should do and 2 make sure u have a top aftermarket cpu cooler like a zelman 9900 or coolmaster extrem cooler both do a really good job

Ok, before I made any changes I opened up AMD overdrive and set each cores multi seperately to 20 cores 0 and 1 ran prime95 stable at 4GHz, cores 2 and 3 would not. I changed my ht freq to 2400 in bios and upped the ram volt to 1.9 and loosened the ram from 2T to 1T. cores 0,1, and 3 all run stable at 4GHz, core 2 has to stay at 3.9. My timings on my ram are 6-6-6-18 stock should I change them and if so what to?
March 27, 2010 2:27:15 AM

seems u r getting closer one thing i noticed and someone correct me if i am wrong but with these newer chips advanced clock calibration is no longer needed or they just dont help that much so i would set that to auto 2 with your mem i would set everything to auto just to see if it runs more stable but your mem setting look good for the speeds they r running and to with the speed your memory is running i would try 1.8 instead of 1.9 just check to see witch one is more stable and up the northbridge to 2600 may stablise the one core thats not running up to speed o and by the way there is a chance sense these r locked cores that they may be damaged or not up to par its a 50/50 chance on that but sense u r able to run them stable at 3.9 chances r they r good cores just let me know how its going and i see if there is any other trick i can think of to help u
March 27, 2010 4:29:56 AM

ellric46 said:
seems u r getting closer one thing i noticed and someone correct me if i am wrong but with these newer chips advanced clock calibration is no longer needed or they just dont help that much so i would set that to auto 2 with your mem i would set everything to auto just to see if it runs more stable but your mem setting look good for the speeds they r running and to with the speed your memory is running i would try 1.8 instead of 1.9 just check to see witch one is more stable and up the northbridge to 2600 may stablise the one core thats not running up to speed o and by the way there is a chance sense these r locked cores that they may be damaged or not up to par its a 50/50 chance on that but sense u r able to run them stable at 3.9 chances r they r good cores just let me know how its going and i see if there is any other trick i can think of to help u

Thanks man, I appreciate that.
March 28, 2010 5:04:28 AM

keep it up let me know how it works out for u and if it runs stable good luck
!