Force3d 4870 Freezer DHT - fan is bugged

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Does anyone know of any guide to modifying the fan speeds on this card?
the issue is that unlike the demo cards sent out to review, the release version has a fan stuck at 100% all the time, and it isnt a quiet one.

it is resistant to ccc manual fan control, rivatuner fan control, flashing the vid bios with rbe (that was fun...)

im now considering either

changing the fan (unless anyone can point me to a 2>3 power converter so i can hook it up to my external fan controller)
changing the heatsink (if anyone can point me to a third party hsf for this card so i can do as above)
replacing the fan with an akasa hard disk cooler fan which looks about the same size.

does anyone else have this card? i know it isnt just mine as i have seen other reports of its noise on the net

so im really after a modders guide for removing the fan and putting in a new one.

thanks for any help you can give with any of the above, including knocking down any of my thoughts for next moves (and hopefully giving me new ideas to replace them)

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
well now that you mention it, in the 8.12 drivers the overdrive and manual fan controls are both disabled so theres not much i can do with them atm.

M-Ajesty

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Unlock them. Run CCC, Go to ATi Overdrive, there should be a key on the upper left corner. Click it and unlock it. Then tick the box "enable manual fan control" and change it to whatever you like. I got my HD4850 on 30%, 32C Idle.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
ok, all done, replaced the single fan with two 80mm fans.

not the finest mod ever done, but took a few pics, heres the end product...

3116705158_eebec31a49.jpg