Sign in with
Your question

New gaming rig... Core i7...

Last response: in Overclocking
March 26, 2010 8:11:30 AM

Hello,

I'm about to build myself a new gaing rig and was planning on getting the i7-930... The plan was to manage to get this stable at ~4.0 GHz, I'm not really after a super overclock just a lootle boost that is rock solid.

Now my question is what kind of memory should I be getting to acompany my overclocked i7-930.

The overall theme inside is blue so there is no way I'm putting in a red memory module even if it's the best in the world and I get it for free :) 

I've been looking at a few alternatives all PC3-12800:
* Patriot Extreme Performance Viper (PVT36G1600LLK)
* Corsair Dominator DD3 (TR3X6G1600C8D)
* Kingston HyperX (KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX)

I'll be cooling the CPU with a CoolIT Vantage package, so that is taken care of... Anything else I should be thinking of?

/Andraax

More about : gaming rig core

a c 147 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 7:25:36 PM

I dunno if I can help you with the color restriction....I have 11 boxes here at home and I couldn't tell you what color any of them are.

But for a 4.0 Ghz OC, I'd be looking at DDR3-1600 modules a full tower case, a premium quality PSU (Antec SG or CP series, Corsair HX Series or Seasonic X series) and a decent air cooler. Can't gives thumbs up or down on the CoolIt stuff....looks cool but haven't seen it tested yet.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 7:40:30 PM

Any of the 1600 memory would be fine as long as your motherboard plays nice with it.

As JackNaylorPE has already stated, the Coolit may or maynot be up to the heat of a i7 @ 4.0 Ghz. I know the H50 (which is very similar) is borderline at that frequency and is definitely beaten by high end air (D14/Megahalem). You may want to see if you can find any credible reviews on the cooler situation.
m
l
!