I7 920 vs PHENOM II 940

ben BOys

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
theres a huge price difference between them so for gaming would it be better to invest in the phenom and more expensive graphics card or go with the Intel option

jason73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
PHENOM II 940 would be the better option if you just want it for gaming,
Its performance is better when it comes to gaming even though the
Intel core i7 920 would be alot better at other tasks,

BUT !! this is only if you are going to use a single graphics card,
if you plan to use 2 graphics cards in say sli for instance then the Intel core i7 920 will give you the better performance, strange as it maybe, but without going into to much detail the i7 920 takes better advantage of multi GPU set ups,

also the price of the motherboard and Ram would work out alot cheaper if you go for the PHENOM option, which then gives you more money to spend on a better Graphics card.

Now lets wait to see who disagrees with me LOL.

ben BOys

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
lol thanks i think that maybe the case and i have been looking at Iver 2x 4850 2gb for the i7 or the ATi single GPU beast for the phenom you put me between a hard place and a rock lol

chad_69

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

The AMD is not better for gaming just take a look on the home page here and there is an article on the I7 920 vs the AMD. The I7 wins every test and smacks the AMD in gaming!!!!!

mattyboyywonder

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
actually im sorry thats not entirely true. Basically i did some searching and ya it performs well but i still think the duo is king of gaming still... games arent using more than 2 cores yet so the better answer is solely for gaming go c2d.

jason73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Well he was only asking about the i7 920 & Phenom II 940 which that is why I only gave my opinon on them 2 CPUs, and I do clearly state that the i7 920 would be better if it was to use a multi GPU set up instead of a single GPU, but for a single GPU then the AMD will prob be better, if you check the new review chad_69 then you will find toms hardware did a new test comparing the i7 920 against the AMD II 940 & AMD II X3 720 and for gaming the results seemed to favour the AMD II.
And yes some of the C2D are still top of the shop for gaming as most games still only use 2 cores, but the i7s & Amd IIs will be more future proof,

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

please feel free to share with us. i have heard this maybe one or two other times but no sources cited which makes me highly doubt the claim.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

+1

chad_69

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
You are all on crack the I-7 spanks AMD in EVERY benchmark. Why do you think Toms harware had the review posted on the home page...Because of people like us desputing this. #1 Look on the home page and #2 look at the a** kicking the I-7 gives the AMD!!!!

Thermaltake Spedo Advance Full Tower w/8 fans
Asus PT6 Mobo
1200W Thermaltake PSU
Core I-7 940 @ 3.4ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
6GB Kingston Hyper X Memory @ 1600mhz
2X 500 Seagate Barracuda's in Raid 0
Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB Oc'd
SB Xtreme Gamer X-FI Sound Card

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

lol... good lord. the i7 only beats the phenom when its overclocked - way to know your processor well dude.

heres the real deal regarding phenoms vs. i7

the phenom 2 pwns the i7 stock vs. stock in gaming and what not. these are REAL benchmarks not intel fanboy numbers hyped up. however, when the i7 is overclocked it comes ahead of the phenom in virtually every game (except a few ie: supreme commander as to why, i have no friggin clue) now that being said, BOTH are equally competitive and BOTH can handle sli / crossfire appropriately. they are BOTH great chips!

chad_69

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Time to look again mby? This time look a little further afield than anandtech who have forever been skewing their benchmarks in favour of intel?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=4

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=802&p=6

The P II's are easily a match of the i7's. Even the i7 EE's are losing out in Far Cry 2. It's clear there are some serious design flaws in the I7 when it comes to mid range gaming.

I think you need to look again spanky, you cant bas your whole absis on one game and did you actually read the article's you posted. I-7 spanked the AMd w/ the exception of far cry. Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Chad, triple channel memory means squat if you're only using it for gaming. That's why I don't see why would anyone jump for Core i7, unless they're filthy rich with expendable income, or that they actually use it for CPU-intensive programs.

Oh and btw, stop spamming. If you have more to say, use the "edit" button.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
sheesh.
some of you guys are a trip. the most knowledgeable and well armed with fact AMD fans around here (jdj comes to mind) wont go where some of you are going in your bantering. are the Phenom2's great CPU's? no doubt! Price/performance? right there with the Core2's. More powerful than the i7's? get a grip on reality. if you have the money for an i7 build, you aren't messing with a single video card with intent not to add another. the i7 is a rock star in multi-gpu and not exactly "blown away" single card performance. as a matter of fact, the same lumps it takes in single card gaming benchmarks, the i7 also likely loses to the EOL Q6600. bottom line is P2 great value, great performance in the league of the Yorkfields. i7 is a workstation/ heavy lifting CPU that "can" game but not its strongest suit unless in a multi-gpu environment. want a single card setup, go P2 or Core2, want a multi-gpu go with the best scaling available (i7).

* maybe a mod should start locking some of these repeat threads and let the bantering continue on existing threads that already have all the rants built in.