Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Graphics Cards
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2009 2:05:34 PM

theres a huge price difference between them so for gaming would it be better to invest in the phenom and more expensive graphics card or go with the Intel option

More about : 920 phenom 940

February 15, 2009 2:12:32 PM

Whichever net you better performance at lowest cost?
February 15, 2009 2:13:42 PM

yer best price for perfprmance
Related resources
February 15, 2009 2:29:22 PM

PHENOM II 940 would be the better option if you just want it for gaming,
Its performance is better when it comes to gaming even though the
Intel core i7 920 would be alot better at other tasks,

BUT !! this is only if you are going to use a single graphics card,
if you plan to use 2 graphics cards in say sli for instance then the Intel core i7 920 will give you the better performance, strange as it maybe, but without going into to much detail the i7 920 takes better advantage of multi GPU set ups,

also the price of the motherboard and Ram would work out alot cheaper if you go for the PHENOM option, which then gives you more money to spend on a better Graphics card.

Now lets wait to see who disagrees with me LOL.
February 15, 2009 2:34:51 PM

lol thanks i think that maybe the case and i have been looking at Iver 2x 4850 2gb for the i7 or the ATi single GPU beast for the phenom you put me between a hard place and a rock lol
February 15, 2009 3:47:34 PM

I have seem benchies around that shows the Core i7 isn't better with mukltiple GPUs
February 17, 2009 6:08:51 PM

ben BOys said:
theres a huge price difference between them so for gaming would it be better to invest in the phenom and more expensive graphics card or go with the Intel option

The AMD is not better for gaming just take a look on the home page here and there is an article on the I7 920 vs the AMD. The I7 wins every test and smacks the AMD in gaming!!!!!
February 17, 2009 6:09:45 PM

oh yeah and the I7 in the absolute best for muti GPU, how do I know, I have one.
February 17, 2009 7:13:05 PM

ya guys the phenom doesnt even touch the i7 in gaming where are you getting that info from?
February 17, 2009 7:23:29 PM

actually im sorry thats not entirely true. Basically i did some searching and ya it performs well but i still think the duo is king of gaming still... games arent using more than 2 cores yet so the better answer is solely for gaming go c2d.
February 17, 2009 7:45:58 PM

Well he was only asking about the i7 920 & Phenom II 940 which that is why I only gave my opinon on them 2 CPUs, and I do clearly state that the i7 920 would be better if it was to use a multi GPU set up instead of a single GPU, but for a single GPU then the AMD will prob be better, if you check the new review chad_69 then you will find toms hardware did a new test comparing the i7 920 against the AMD II 940 & AMD II X3 720 and for gaming the results seemed to favour the AMD II.
And yes some of the C2D are still top of the shop for gaming as most games still only use 2 cores, but the i7s & Amd IIs will be more future proof,
February 17, 2009 8:53:46 PM

lashton said:
I have seem benchies around that shows the Core i7 isn't better with mukltiple GPUs

please feel free to share with us. i have heard this maybe one or two other times but no sources cited which makes me highly doubt the claim.
February 17, 2009 9:01:19 PM

jason73 said:
PHENOM II 940 would be the better option if you just want it for gaming,
Its performance is better when it comes to gaming even though the
Intel core i7 920 would be alot better at other tasks,

BUT !! this is only if you are going to use a single graphics card,
if you plan to use 2 graphics cards in say sli for instance then the Intel core i7 920 will give you the better performance, strange as it maybe, but without going into to much detail the i7 920 takes better advantage of multi GPU set ups,

also the price of the motherboard and Ram would work out alot cheaper if you go for the PHENOM option, which then gives you more money to spend on a better Graphics card.

Now lets wait to see who disagrees with me LOL.

+1
February 18, 2009 1:21:09 PM

You are all on crack the I-7 spanks AMD in EVERY benchmark. Why do you think Toms harware had the review posted on the home page...Because of people like us desputing this. #1 Look on the home page and #2 look at the a** kicking the I-7 gives the AMD!!!!

Thermaltake Spedo Advance Full Tower w/8 fans
Asus PT6 Mobo
1200W Thermaltake PSU
Core I-7 940 @ 3.4ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
6GB Kingston Hyper X Memory @ 1600mhz
2X 500 Seagate Barracuda's in Raid 0
Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB Oc'd
SB Xtreme Gamer X-FI Sound Card

February 18, 2009 1:42:12 PM

chad_69 said:
You are all on crack the I-7 spanks AMD in EVERY benchmark. Why do you think Toms harware had the review posted on the home page...Because of people like us desputing this. #1 Look on the home page and #2 look at the a** kicking the I-7 gives the AMD!!!!

Thermaltake Spedo Advance Full Tower w/8 fans
Asus PT6 Mobo
1200W Thermaltake PSU
Core I-7 940 @ 3.4ghz
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
6GB Kingston Hyper X Memory @ 1600mhz
2X 500 Seagate Barracuda's in Raid 0
Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB Oc'd
SB Xtreme Gamer X-FI Sound Card

lol... good lord. the i7 only beats the phenom when its overclocked - way to know your processor well dude.

heres the real deal regarding phenoms vs. i7

the phenom 2 pwns the i7 stock vs. stock in gaming and what not. these are REAL benchmarks not intel fanboy numbers hyped up. however, when the i7 is overclocked it comes ahead of the phenom in virtually every game (except a few ie: supreme commander as to why, i have no friggin clue) now that being said, BOTH are equally competitive and BOTH can handle sli / crossfire appropriately. they are BOTH great chips!
February 18, 2009 2:15:55 PM

Quote:
Time to look again mby? This time look a little further afield than anandtech who have forever been skewing their benchmarks in favour of intel?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=802&p=6

The P II's are easily a match of the i7's. Even the i7 EE's are losing out in Far Cry 2. It's clear there are some serious design flaws in the I7 when it comes to mid range gaming.

I think you need to look again spanky, you cant bas your whole absis on one game and did you actually read the article's you posted. I-7 spanked the AMd w/ the exception of far cry. Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
February 18, 2009 2:18:56 PM

Oh yeah.. and it takes AMD best and fastest chip to take on the low end 920 I-7...you have no clout.....
February 18, 2009 2:38:52 PM

"AMD's best and fastest chip" costs $220. Intels costs over a thousand. Cut the fanboyism.
February 18, 2009 2:41:28 PM

forget the last post sen th wrong link
February 18, 2009 3:35:47 PM

Chad, triple channel memory means squat if you're only using it for gaming. That's why I don't see why would anyone jump for Core i7, unless they're filthy rich with expendable income, or that they actually use it for CPU-intensive programs.

Oh and btw, stop spamming. If you have more to say, use the "edit" button.
February 18, 2009 4:25:56 PM

sheesh.
some of you guys are a trip. the most knowledgeable and well armed with fact AMD fans around here (jdj comes to mind) wont go where some of you are going in your bantering. are the Phenom2's great CPU's? no doubt! Price/performance? right there with the Core2's. More powerful than the i7's? get a grip on reality. if you have the money for an i7 build, you aren't messing with a single video card with intent not to add another. the i7 is a rock star in multi-gpu and not exactly "blown away" single card performance. as a matter of fact, the same lumps it takes in single card gaming benchmarks, the i7 also likely loses to the EOL Q6600. bottom line is P2 great value, great performance in the league of the Yorkfields. i7 is a workstation/ heavy lifting CPU that "can" game but not its strongest suit unless in a multi-gpu environment. want a single card setup, go P2 or Core2, want a multi-gpu go with the best scaling available (i7).

* maybe a mod should start locking some of these repeat threads and let the bantering continue on existing threads that already have all the rants built in.
February 18, 2009 4:59:43 PM

Quote:

There's more to come from Phenom II soon...a true DDR3 X4FX edition that will own the high end Quads isn't far away. :D 

EDIT: Almost forgot to add. Jimbo, the Phenom X4 FX that you mentioned, is that FX-82?
February 18, 2009 6:39:58 PM

Ok chad_69 you seem to have a nice pc from what I can see, Im sure it works well for you, but ben BOys started this topic and we have to think what was best for hes needs and I think the vote went 8 to 2 in favour of Amd II 940 from what I can see, so hopefully he will have seen this and used his common sence and saved him self some money,
And yomamafor love the picture lol
February 18, 2009 7:16:41 PM

Price/Performance? I'd say in between I7 940 and 920, for the 940 BE. For a 720 BE? there isn't really an Intel chipset to compare it to.

Go for a AMD 940 and a good water cooling System, that's probably the best thing to do with a budget for cpu and cooling around your level.
February 18, 2009 7:34:15 PM

Here is the truth:

I7 is the best in every area but is close with the Phenoms with a single GPU, but still clocked 400mhz less. No matter what you do or what you want to do the truth is that I7 is FASTER!

However... I7 is not MUCH faster. Going by price/performance I7 still does not make much sense. A good C2Q or Phenom 2 can do 90%+ the same as I7 in real world tasks. Add the fact that the saved money could net you a better monitor, better GPU(s), and god forbid you buy a decent dedicated sound card and a decent receiver+loud speaker setup so things sound good instead of crap PC speakers!

For gamers and everyone else except professionals that can benefit from I7, very very few people, I7 is not the best choice. Even if you don't game going from a 6-bit to an 8-bit panel monitor can be extremely rewarding.

For all those with I7, I am NOT knocking I7 just stating that for those who do not want the best (enthusiasts) and those who do not just WANT I7 for the sake of having it then it is not the wisest choice many times. For the record I plan on buying an I7 system just for the fun of it and I do nto regret that decision though I admit that if I were building a system right now then it would not be my best choice.
February 18, 2009 9:25:36 PM

^ +1

Ok. Consensus established. Move on.
February 18, 2009 10:59:49 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Here is the truth:

I7 is the best in every area but is close with the Phenoms with a single GPU, but still clocked 400mhz less. No matter what you do or what you want to do the truth is that I7 is FASTER!

However... I7 is not MUCH faster. Going by price/performance I7 still does not make much sense. A good C2Q or Phenom 2 can do 90%+ the same as I7 in real world tasks. Add the fact that the saved money could net you a better monitor, better GPU(s), and god forbid you buy a decent dedicated sound card and a decent receiver+loud speaker setup so things sound good instead of crap PC speakers!

For gamers and everyone else except professionals that can benefit from I7, very very few people, I7 is not the best choice. Even if you don't game going from a 6-bit to an 8-bit panel monitor can be extremely rewarding.

For all those with I7, I am NOT knocking I7 just stating that for those who do not want the best (enthusiasts) and those who do not just WANT I7 for the sake of having it then it is not the wisest choice many times. For the record I plan on buying an I7 system just for the fun of it and I do nto regret that decision though I admit that if I were building a system right now then it would not be my best choice.

we do not agree much but when we do i have a feeling nobody can touch us. +1.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2009 3:45:57 PM

why no one says anything to jdj when he post 4 or 5 consecutive posts?
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2009 5:52:00 PM

BadTrip said:
why no one says anything to jdj when he post 4 or 5 consecutive posts?

Probably because JDJ doesn't annoy the crap out of everybody when he posts :) . I think even the most pro-Intel posters got annoyed with the Chad's "You is all on crak!" posts.

a b à CPUs
February 19, 2009 6:11:58 PM

wow