Wrong BIOS was installed on new MB at factory.

cajunmom47

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Wrong BIOS was installed on new MB at factory. Could it be the reason integrated sound will not work, even though device manager says the sound is working fine. Have reinstalled drivers. Afraid to install the other version for fear of messing up the motherboard. Would it be better to get a PCI sound card? Intel Midway 2 GV MBoard. Gateway 510S.

Mondoman

Splendid
A wrong BIOS version could cause problems, but there are other possible reasons as well. How do you know the BIOS version is wrong?
For sound, sometimes a set of wires or some jumpers need to be installed on a header on the MB in order to connect the internal sound to the back panel jacks.
Have you talked to Gateway tech support?

If the BIOS from an entirly different mobo was flashed at the factory, chances are that the mobo wouldn't even POST or boot properly.

And, as long as the mobo has the correct BIOS chip installed, it isn't anything that a BIOS update shouldn't ba able to correct.

Assuming every other component of the computer works properly and it's only the sound that you are having issues with, chances are it's a driver or settings issue and not a wrong BIOS.

cajunmom47

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

My pc is out of warrantee and I'm not sure about the jumper wires. I need to find out where to look on the MB for the wire jumpers. Have reinstalled drivers for sound and done the troubleshooting. The installed BIOS isn't listed on my download page for updates. I know the speakers work on my mac.

cajunmom47

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

The BIOS installed is not listed for my Pc, the one I found was in the updates for my particular pc. The one installed is not for my pc mb. I have the intel midway 2 GV. It calls for the BF86510A.15A.0066.p13.

LINK:
http://search.support.gateway.com/iphrase/query?command=text&attr1=&attr2=&t=0&text=BF86510A.15A%2C0087.P21&x=0&y=0

I don't know if it would help to install the right one or not.

cajunmom47

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Gateway bios download page. I have a Intel Midway 2 GV motherboard.

LINK:http://search.support.gateway.com/iphrase/query?command=text&attr1=&attr2=&t=0&text=BF86510A.15A%2C0087.P21&x=0&y=0

The BIOS version is wrong according to this. Everything else works fine though.