Sign in with
Your question

Plugin an old ide hard disk

Last response: in Storage
April 29, 2010 2:06:58 PM

Hello
I'm havin an old ide 3gb hard disk , that I want to plug "serially' into the only avalaible ide plug cable connected to a dvd player, is it ok to do that ?

Mob. brand : Asus P5wd2

thanks

More about : plugin ide hard disk

April 29, 2010 2:55:43 PM

Hi,
As long as the ide slot still available should be ok. But just curious, why u are trying this? As a simple web server?
drfs
a b G Storage
April 29, 2010 3:18:47 PM

If the DVD is IDE, then each IDE port on your MB supports 2 drives (master & slave) - the ribbon cable should have 2 connectors, so you can do that. You may need to change jumpers on the devices so that 1 device is master & 1 is slave.

If the DVD is SATA, no you can't plug your IDE into the same cable.

A quick search shows 2 SATA ports and 2 IDE ports on that MB. Unless you already have 4 IDE devices in use, you can attach to 1 IDE port or other.
Related resources
April 29, 2010 3:45:43 PM

bewodo said:
Hi,
As long as the ide slot still available should be ok. But just curious, why u are trying this? As a simple web server?
drfs

just temporarily install on the old 3g hard disk , as the old pc does not support cd boot
April 29, 2010 3:48:52 PM

gtvr said:
If the DVD is IDE, then each IDE port on your MB supports 2 drives (master & slave) - the ribbon cable should have 2 connectors, so you can do that. You may need to change jumpers on the devices so that 1 device is master & 1 is slave.

If the DVD is SATA, no you can't plug your IDE into the same cable.

A quick search shows 2 SATA ports and 2 IDE ports on that MB. Unless you already have 4 IDE devices in use, you can attach to 1 IDE port or other.

the dvd is ide , (didnt know ther could be sata dvd players )

when I opened the case , there were many wires out there, I couldn't see only the ide cable to the dvd player, I'll look at tha manual
thanks
a c 353 G Storage
April 30, 2010 4:19:19 AM

Any IDE device - HDD or optical - will have two cables going to it. One is the power supply, and it looks like four individual wires - red, yellow, and two black in the middle - to a 4-pin Molex connector about ¾" wide. The other is a 2" wide ribbon cable. I probably has 80 wires in it. (Start counting wires across from one edge - if you get to 20 and you're only ¼ way across, it is an 80-conductor ribbon cable.) Most of these have three connectors on them. The blue one at one end plugs into one of the mobo's IDE ports. The black one on the other end should plug into the Master IDE device on this cable. The gray one in the middle plugs into the Slave device. The connectors actually have only 40 holes in them, not 80. Well, in fact, 39 holes because one is blanked off so it can only be plugged in one way.

Master and Slave functions are set by jumpers you adjust on pins on the back edge of the drive unit. There will be a diagram on the drive case to show you how. Any IDE port MUST have a Master. So, if you already have an IDE optical drive in your system, I fully expect its jumpers are set to Master and it is plugged into the black connector on the end of its ribbon cable. In that case, set the jumpers on your old drive to the Slave position and plug it into the gray middle connector, then make sure it has a Molex power supply, too.

Two exceptions to that:
1. Your existing optical drive MAY have its jumper set to "CS" for "Cable Select". You can use the CS setting ONLY if you set BOTH devices to "CS", and then the one on the END of the cable will be the Master for sure. If you can't set your old HDD to CS, then you cannot set the optical unit to CS either. In that case use the Master and Slave jumper setting system.
2. Some older optical drives could not work well as Masters with a HDD as Slave. So, if the setup above does not work, consider making the HDD the port Master and the optical unit the Slave by changing jumpers and cable connectors.
April 30, 2010 11:11:27 PM

Hello again
actually what I just did is :
I disconnected the IDE cable to the dvd player , plugged it to the old hard disk
but I still could not get it detected in the bios :( 
a b G Storage
May 1, 2010 11:52:18 AM

Did you set/change the jumper settings that paperdoc mentioned?
a c 353 G Storage
May 1, 2010 3:53:03 PM

If you set the old drive's jumper to "Master" position and made sure it had a Molex power supply connected and then made it the ONLY device on the end of the ribbon cable and it still failed to show up at all in BIOS, chances are the drive is dead. One more thing to check, though. One of the last tabs on the BIOS Setup opening screen is a place you can go to run an Auto Detect routine on your drive. This is a more comprehensive method than simply setting its "type" to "Auto". In this screen you can designate exactly which drive it is to examine, and then have it query that drive for its setup specs. It will usually show you at least one option it recommends (usually the best choice), but may also show other options for settings. You can try each option, one at a time, and Save and Exit to boot that way. As long as you only try to READ from that drive - never write - you can afford to try using it with the wrong setup options, and all it does is fail to work. In that case you reboot, go back to BIOS Setup and the Auto Detect screen, and try a different optional setup set.

Of course, if this screen cannot get any useful response from the drive, it pretty much confirms you can't use it at all. BUT if this screen CAN get setup settings from the drive, it is not completely dead. In that case you could try other tools to see if it can be revived, like downloading the diagnostic tests suite from the drive's manufacturer. If you are doing that and need advice on how, let us know. By the way, I'm not clear on whether the drive contains data you want to recover.
!