Advice on upgrading Pentium III

humolezer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I purchased my first computer in 1984 and have been building and upgrading ever since. I built an Intel Pentium III 600Mhz system in 1999. That was a long time ago.

The answer to your question is yes. You can upgrade to the Intel Pentium III 1.0Ghz cpu. I clicked on the links and took a look at the references you provided. I noticed that you can check for, download, and install the appropriate Award BIOS and drivers. If necessary you should be able to manually change the voltage in the Award BIOS.

There are a lot of hardcore gamers into serious overclocking at this forum. They normally recommend the newest, fastest pc components available. I used to say that a Pentium III 600 Mhz and Windows 95 was sufficient for surfing the Internet and email. It looks like my statement is still true.

Good Luck!

humolezer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Thanks for the responses. Can I ask you where you did find the manual? Because I can't find it on Chaintech's site.. And could you maybe send me that post from that guy who's using it to? And, would the difference between the 2 CPUs be noticeable?

Podadam

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
You should maybe look into this cpu aswell:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GHz-512K-include-Socket-Adapter_W0QQitemZ280313853342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280313853342&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I bought it for my aopen x34 II and it worked flawlessly (even overclocked it to 1.615ghz). I had a 1ghz before and let me tell you there is a major difference between those two.

Just try to find out if it will work on your motherboard.

First motherboard on this page (Chaintech 6VIA3) has the link to the manual: http://mateusz.viste.free.fr/dos/en/hardware.htm
Note in the description for that motherboard: "CPU support: S370 up to PIII 1GHz (133MHz FSB)", but the older manual says 700 Mhz because 1 Ghz CPUs didn't exist back then.

The post (in French) is at http://forum.zebulon.fr/pentium-iiie-1000-mhz-75-x-133-t80301.html&pid=614269&mode=threaded

The difference will be noticeable. It will go from extremely slow to very very slow.

humolezer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Ok, I think my motherboard is the one that supports P3 CPU up to 1GHz, because in BIOS there stands that it runs on 133MHz FSB. I'm going to buy the 1GHz and not the 1.4GHz because it wouldn't make any difference with the 1GHz on my motherboard (I think).

edit: Oh also; Do I need to update BIOS before changing the CPUs?

zipzoomflyhigh - simple - it's an old system I remember from 10 years ago and it still works. Quite the opposite of the typical gamer threads at this forum.

btw - Thanks for mentioning the front side bus. I am growing old disgracefully and I forget stuff.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Awesome that some people are still using serviceable computers instead of filling landfills. Also, one can almost always re purpose a computer for something when it becomes obsolete. I hear Macs make good doorstops. It would be fun to know if anyone posting here is running something even more 'classic' like an AMD K6-III@450mhz. That was one hell of a CPU for it's time. Just before they released the first Athlon 500mhz

sklawz

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
hi, I was at a local recycling place where I live here in northeast PA. I saw somebody dumping off an old Dell Dimension XPS. I remembered that this computer has (had) a very stable Intel 440bx motherboard. I picked the thing up and thew it in my trunk. When I got it home I found it had a Pentium 3 500mhz processor. 128mb of PC100 SD ram. I threw in 2 more sticks of 128 mb PC 100 Ram that I had laying around, for a total of 356mb. I upgraded the HD form 20gb to 250gb. The vid card was Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Pro which was a very good video card for its time but I had an old GeForce 2 that I replaced it with. There was a "Soundblaster- Live!" soundcard that works great and a cd-burner which I could replace with a DVD-CD Burner.

The bottomline is, I save this computer form the scrap heap and gave it new life with components I had laying around. It is very stable and although I can't run the newest version of "Call of Duty" on it, I surf the internet with no problems, It never crashes on me like my "newer computer" and I can play all my favorite "classic" games on this. I works great for something that someone was going to dump in a landfill.

Check out www.oldversion.com

because " Newer is not always Better."

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
umm one thing about old mobos, that they may need to have jumpers set in order to actually do anything, at times, the bios settings won't reflect in the CPU.

I had a P III 550E with an old biostar (memory is murkey on that one) mobo, that allowed you to set frreq in bios only if you used a specific jumper combo in bios, or else it would go by the jumper setting of 66/100/133, so you may need to look into that