Motherboard recomendations for an E8400

DarkSaturn

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
About 2 weeks ago I had a total system failure, I've confirmed that the memory, video-card and power supply are fine.

So either the Core 2 Duo (E6400) or MSI P965 Platinum are toast.

As I don't want to replace my 4GB of DDR2, I'm looking for motherboard recommendations to pair with a Core 2 Duo E8400 (45 nm, 3 Ghz). Looking for something mid-range.

Rest of the components:
4 GB OCZ DDR2 (800mhz, 5-5-5-12, gold series)
XFX 8800 GT 512 mb
IDE DVD-RW
Sata HD's

I've been looking at the eVGA 750i FTW, however there seems to be a lot of bios problems in it's history (anyone confirm if these have all been resolved?), or any intel chipsets supporting 45nm processors. SLI in the 750i would be a benefit, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker to not have it.

The previous system was fine one day, the next morning it during boot the fans run for about 2 seconds, then go silent for 3 seconds and then come back to life for 2 seconds and then die again, attempts to restart did nothing until the power supply was cycled. Was convinced the PS had died, brought in a temporary replacement, but the problem persisted. Disconnected all the components with the exception of one sata HD and an old PCI vga, it would then startup with fans running for 3-4 seconds before failure, once again power supply had to be cycled to try again. I then disconnected everything (front USB connections, HD-LED...etc...) and tried to boot with nothing but a video card and the power switch connection, it would then run for 5 or 6 seconds, and would fail just as the fans dropped out of the initial full mode into the normal speed. During all of these configurations, I got no video output. Tried resetting the bios, and replaced with a fresh battery.

Cheers.

DarkSaturn

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

SLI would be nice, but I can live without it. I've only got a single 8800GT at the moment. I've got a 360 and a PS3, so for the most part gaming on the PC is RTS or non system-crusher FPS like TF2.

Budget is approx. $200 CDN, ultimately I'll likely be purchasing it here (http://www.memoryexpress.com/). Right now the eVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW is $200 CDN with a $30 main in rebate (can be found cheaper online, but at this point I'd prefer the convenience of being able to pick it up on the way home).

DarkSaturn

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've looked at the 780i as well, however in my research I found a few reviews that suggested there wasn't much to recommend it over a 750i. It does seem better suited to extreme overclocking, but I don't see myself needing to push the 8400 to 4ghz and beyond.