Journalist seeks Sims 2 players

I'd like to talk to Sims 2 players who've encountered hacks of the
games, or who've created these hacks. Do you regard this practice as
vandalism, or as good clean fun? Either way, I'm interested.

I want the article to include your name, age, occupation, and the
community
in which you live.

This is for real. Click on the links below to read some of my stuff.

Interested? Please e-mail me ASAP. Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray
Technology Reporter
Boston Globe
135 Morrissey Blvd.
P.O. Box 55819
Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
617-929-3119 voice
617-929-3183 fax
617-233-9419 cell
bray@globe.com
watha@monitortan.com
Blog: www.monitortan.com
Recent writings: www.boston.com/business/technology/bray
38 answers Last reply
More about journalist seeks sims players

    These don't sound like viruses to me. It actually sounds like an
    effort by players to extend the capability of the game. It's more like
    modding. I wanted to talk to people who've done it to find out what
    they've got in mind. Interested?

    watha wrote:
    > These don't sound like viruses to me. It actually sounds like an
    > effort by players to extend the capability of the game. It's more
    > like modding. I wanted to talk to people who've done it to find out
    > what they've got in mind. Interested?

    If you want to talk to the people who are doing the modding, go to the
    forums at www.modthesims2.com , which is pretty much the hub for the
    sims 2 modding community.

    Not just extend the capability, but in many cases, fix bugs in the
    game.

    On 12 Jan 2005 11:22:14 -0800, watha@monitortan.com wrote:

    >I'd like to talk to Sims 2 players who've encountered hacks of the
    >games, or who've created these hacks. Do you regard this practice as
    >vandalism, or as good clean fun? Either way, I'm interested.

    So your article isn't going to be alarmist and slanted? That would be
    nice. I'm sick of reading about "viruses."

    BW

    Jeremy Reaban wrote:
    > watha wrote:
    >> These don't sound like viruses to me. It actually sounds like an
    >> effort by players to extend the capability of the game. It's more
    >> like modding. I wanted to talk to people who've done it to find out
    >> what they've got in mind. Interested?
    >
    > If you want to talk to the people who are doing the modding, go to the
    > forums at www.modthesims2.com , which is pretty much the hub for the
    > sims 2 modding community.
    >
    > Not just extend the capability, but in many cases, fix bugs in the
    > game.

    If my parents had named me 'Hiawatha' I think I'd have emancipated myself...
    on salads.

    watha@monitortan.com waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a
    moose (OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
    > I'd like to talk to Sims 2 players who've encountered hacks of the
    > games, or who've created these hacks. Do you regard this practice as
    > vandalism, or as good clean fun? Either way, I'm interested.
    >
    > I want the article to include your name, age, occupation, and the
    > community
    > in which you live.
    >
    > This is for real. Click on the links below to read some of my stuff.
    >
    > Interested? Please e-mail me ASAP. Thanks.
    >
    > Hiawatha Bray
    > Technology Reporter
    > Boston Globe
    > 135 Morrissey Blvd.
    > P.O. Box 55819
    > Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
    > 617-929-3119 voice
    > 617-929-3183 fax
    > 617-233-9419 cell
    > bray@globe.com
    > watha@monitortan.com
    > Blog: www.monitortan.com
    > Recent writings: www.boston.com/business/technology/bray

    For our website, we've been discussing placing a warning on our hacked
    objects to warn against their distribution on the Sims 2 Exchenage, and in
    running the Sims2Pack Clean Install utility to ensure that our house
    downloads don't have any hacked objects. As far as I know, these measures
    have not been implemented - they are still in the discussion phase.

    --
    --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)

    Good clean fun
    Vandalism? How so?
    Maxis promised a lot but didn't really quite deliver
    These hacks that I installed are just merely tweaks that make the game run
    better
    And actually in most cases, make the game playable.
    Definitely check out modthesims2.com for the community who make hacks, great
    bunch of people in my book.
    Vandalism using the correct meaning, is defined as "Willful or malicious
    destruction of public or private property"
    Words are powerful things...but since you are a journalist, I'm sure you
    understand that.

    - D
    (25/F/Sydney,Australia)

    <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to talk to Sims 2 players who've encountered hacks of the
    > games, or who've created these hacks. Do you regard this practice as
    > vandalism, or as good clean fun? Either way, I'm interested.
    >
    > I want the article to include your name, age, occupation, and the
    > community
    > in which you live.
    >
    > This is for real. Click on the links below to read some of my stuff.
    >
    > Interested? Please e-mail me ASAP. Thanks.
    >
    > Hiawatha Bray
    > Technology Reporter
    > Boston Globe
    > 135 Morrissey Blvd.
    > P.O. Box 55819
    > Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
    > 617-929-3119 voice
    > 617-929-3183 fax
    > 617-233-9419 cell
    > bray@globe.com
    > watha@monitortan.com
    > Blog: www.monitortan.com
    > Recent writings: www.boston.com/business/technology/bray

    Probably looking for "dirt", like when s/he wrote about the Sims Online.

    If you ask me it's neither. In my opinion the entire problem rests in
    catering to the lowest common denominator. Maxis made changes from Sims 1 to
    Sims 2 in order to allow installation of custom content and sharing of
    designs 'easier.' The result has been to reduce the control we have over our
    own computers and what goes into them.

    The modders and hackers have supplied bug fixes and extended game-play
    options. It took someone external to the Sims 2 playing and modding
    community to suggest a similarity to virus'. When the hacks started
    migrating the modders basic reaction could be described as "Oops, that
    wasn't meant to happen - hang on and we'll see what we can do." And they did
    offer the first answer to exactly what the problem was as well as the first
    solutions.

    As for who I am. I work in a small computer shop as sales
    assistant/helpdesk.
    Megan Swingler-Hill
    Adelaide, South Australia

    Madame Mim

    <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to talk to Sims 2 players who've encountered hacks of the
    > games, or who've created these hacks. Do you regard this practice as
    > vandalism, or as good clean fun? Either way, I'm interested.
    >
    > I want the article to include your name, age, occupation, and the
    > community
    > in which you live.
    >
    > This is for real. Click on the links below to read some of my stuff.
    >
    > Interested? Please e-mail me ASAP. Thanks.
    >
    > Hiawatha Bray
    > Technology Reporter
    > Boston Globe
    > 135 Morrissey Blvd.
    > P.O. Box 55819
    > Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
    > 617-929-3119 voice
    > 617-929-3183 fax
    > 617-233-9419 cell
    > bray@globe.com
    > watha@monitortan.com
    > Blog: www.monitortan.com
    > Recent writings: www.boston.com/business/technology/bray

    D waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose (OOPS!) -
    tried again and came up with:
    > Good clean fun
    > Vandalism? How so?
    > Maxis promised a lot but didn't really quite deliver
    > These hacks that I installed are just merely tweaks that make the
    > game run better
    > And actually in most cases, make the game playable.
    > Definitely check out modthesims2.com for the community who make
    > hacks, great bunch of people in my book.
    > Vandalism using the correct meaning, is defined as "Willful or
    > malicious destruction of public or private property"
    > Words are powerful things...but since you are a journalist, I'm sure
    > you understand that.

    I sorta disagree. The TS1 Exchange was loaded with willful and malicious
    homes that would crash your game. There's no reason to think otherwise of
    the TS2 Exchange. The problem, of course is children (no matter what age
    they really are) who find "fun" in destructive activities, along with a
    company that refuses to vet content for bad things.

    --
    --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
    "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
    "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
    Mwahahaha!

    So you are saying that people are intentionally putting corrupt files in the
    exchange for fun?
    And it's the writers of the hacks who are at fault?
    Or maybe you are saying that YES there are people who are intentionally
    corrupt
    Something I find a little hard to believe...but I'll give you the benefit of
    the doubt, after all it doesn't hurt to be careful.
    but the thing is...it's not the hacker's fault nor Maxis's fault
    they just provide the tools and services
    If a hacker was intentionally making hacks and putting them in the exchange
    (a hacker with very little life...what a poor sod)
    then yeah he would be called a vandal
    but you just can't say that the WHOLE of the hacking community is at fault
    You just can't generalise like that...life isn't black or white, good or
    bad, 'clean' fun or vandalism...
    Free-will makes sure our lives are full of many shades of grey.

    Maxis made a game, Hackers mod the game, a bored kid puts a maliciously
    bugged house on the exchange to ruin people's games
    Intentionally? or they just didn't know?
    What the real problem is that there is no clarity, no organisation..
    and so these things slip through

    I will continue to defend the hacking community because if it weren't for
    them I would've stopped playing the game
    (thanks to bugs)
    2 months ago.

    Speculation breeds paranoia which breeds fear, and frankly I get enough of
    that just watching the 6 oclock news.

    Sorry.
    --
    - D

    "D" <deeus@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > So you are saying that people are intentionally putting corrupt files in
    > the exchange for fun?
    > And it's the writers of the hacks who are at fault?

    It is a small number of people who write hacks that do for whatever reason
    do things like that. The majority of people who write them do add to the
    playability and the fun value of the game. I don't think anyone is blaming
    the whole hacking community because the way the Sims2 is written nearly
    everyone is using some sort of hack. I am a purist at heart but I have had
    to use hacks to solve bugs and with the recolours more easily done as a hack
    my desire to have different kinds of bedding means I have hacks for that
    too. Every community has twits and unfortunately people who don't play the
    game will probably wind up thinking bad things about the modding community
    as a whole because of the actions of a very few.

    Gareeth

    "D" <deeus@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >. clippy.......
    >
    > Maxis made a game, Hackers mod the game, a bored kid puts a maliciously
    > bugged house on the exchange to ruin people's games
    > Intentionally? or they just didn't know?
    > What the real problem is that there is no clarity, no organisation..
    > and so these things slip through
    >
    > I will continue to defend the hacking community because if it weren't for
    > them I would've stopped playing the game
    > (thanks to bugs)
    > 2 months ago.

    This is true. 8) and 8(

    However, for every careful hackee who knows what they are about, enter
    someone who hacks a hack without realising, or caring about, the effects it
    might have on the game. They are just pleased with the end result. Shows how
    clever they are...
    Is ignorance an excuse? Or is stupidity?

    Opening a can of worms the size of Sims2 and releasing it into the wild,
    without realising that people would be adapting it like mad the day after it
    hit the stores does indicate a lack of foresight that is .. Ummm... well,
    dim, to say the least.
    Look at the way hackers fell on The Sims with howls of glee, and thank
    goodness they did, too.

    I am with you. The whole downloading business needs cleaning up and
    organising. I'm jolly glad I don;t have to do that job. Meanwhile, issue
    fixes to fix the faults that shouldn;t have been allowed to be uploaded in
    the first place. Can of worms.

    Granny - who has downloaded a couple of lacy nighties, and that is the lot.

    "Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "D" <deeus@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>. clippy.......

    > Granny - who has downloaded a couple of lacy nighties, and that is the
    > lot.

    I don't go on the exchange myself...I find it too messy
    since 1999 I think I have downloaded only the official objects Maxis gave us
    and continue to give us
    Although I have uninstalled the Halloween stuff because it's grotesque...and
    too big..
    waaaay too big. That kitty....whoa..
    I thought it would be a nice little ornament...Noooo it had to be as big as
    a Sim-child and twice as horrid.
    Oh and I never installed that Macdonald stand for The Sims 1...

    - D

    D waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose (OOPS!) -
    tried again and came up with:
    > So you are saying that people are intentionally putting corrupt files
    > in the exchange for fun?

    yes - not the majority, of course, but it only takes a small number to ruin
    the reputation of a site.

    > And it's the writers of the hacks who are at fault?

    no - I didn't mention hackers at all. Most people who upload homes to the
    exchange wouldn't know how to create simantics code.

    > Or maybe you are saying that YES there are people who are
    > intentionally corrupt
    > Something I find a little hard to believe...but I'll give you the
    > benefit of the doubt, after all it doesn't hurt to be careful.
    > but the thing is...it's not the hacker's fault nor Maxis's fault
    > they just provide the tools and services

    Of course it's not the hacker's fault. They provide great stuff and extend
    the game. However, Maxis, through it's policy of not testing anything that
    goes up onto the exchange, allows a few demented individuals to spoil their
    attempts to provide quality downloads for others.

    > If a hacker was intentionally making hacks and putting them in the
    > exchange (a hacker with very little life...what a poor sod)
    > then yeah he would be called a vandal

    Again, it's not the hackers - it's a few "poor sods" who have no creative
    talent whatsoever that find ways of creating trouble for everyone by
    uploading homes with problems. It doesn't take much to give a site a bad
    reputation - only one out of 1000 being malicious can do it. The people who
    create problems are NOT the creative people who develop the hacked objects
    that we know and love. It's the ones who normally would create problems no
    matter what they do. It's much easier to create problems using stock
    objects (I'm reminded of the TS1 home on the exchange with 20 babies about
    to hatch), that it is to be creative and learn how to write simantics code.
    I seriously doubt that any uploader with a malicious streak has that kind of
    creativity.

    > but you just can't say that the WHOLE of the hacking community is at
    > fault You just can't generalise like that...life isn't black or
    > white, good or bad, 'clean' fun or vandalism...
    > Free-will makes sure our lives are full of many shades of grey.
    >
    > Maxis made a game, Hackers mod the game, a bored kid puts a
    > maliciously bugged house on the exchange to ruin people's games
    > Intentionally? or they just didn't know?

    A bit of both, actually. Some (actually, most) of the problem homes are put
    up unintentionally. A small number, however, are put up intentionally.

    > What the real problem is that there is no clarity, no organisation..
    > and so these things slip through
    >
    > I will continue to defend the hacking community because if it weren't
    > for them I would've stopped playing the game
    > (thanks to bugs)
    > 2 months ago.
    >
    > Speculation breeds paranoia which breeds fear, and frankly I get
    > enough of that just watching the 6 oclock news.
    >
    > Sorry.
    >
    > "Ohmikeghod" <ohmikeghod@mirthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I sorta disagree. The TS1 Exchange was loaded with willful and
    >> malicious homes that would crash your game. There's no reason to
    >> think otherwise of the TS2 Exchange. The problem, of course is
    >> children (no matter what age they really are) who find "fun" in
    >> destructive activities, along with a company that refuses to vet
    >> content for bad things.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    >> Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
    >> "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
    >> "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
    >> Mwahahaha!

    --

    Ohmikeghod wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >>>I sorta disagree. The TS1 Exchange was loaded with willful and
    >>>malicious homes that would crash your game. There's no reason to
    >>>think otherwise of the TS2 Exchange. The problem, of course is
    >>>children (no matter what age they really are) who find "fun" in
    >>>destructive activities, along with a company that refuses to vet
    >>>content for bad things.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    >>>Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
    >>>"The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
    >>>"The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
    >>>Mwahahaha!
    >

    > --
    > --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    > Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
    > "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
    > "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"

    I for one won't be downloading anymore homes from the exchange. The
    last one I got had a house full of sick sims. I had placed the house in
    the neighborhood, hadn't played it yet, went into the home I made of my
    own family and sent them into town. The sick family was there and made
    my "husband" sick! Needless to say I was pissed! Won't make that
    mistake again.

    Ali

    Mike I agree with you on all accounts
    Because if anyone is at fault, it's Maxis for not caring enough to do the
    testing.

    And like you said, it's not even the hackers who are doing the damage
    it's the kids who don't know any better
    or who do know..but do it anyways because they are poor sods

    lol

    --
    - D

    "> I think that Maxis shutting down the exchange due to a few malicious
    > individuals would be bad. It's the same as capitulating to terrorists.
    > Given that, however, Maxis should take some responsibility in ensuring
    > that
    > the site is clean, although that means using tools that have been created
    > by
    > the community instead of them - and they have a big dose of
    > "not-invented-here" syndrome. OTOH, they could create a tool that removes
    > non-Maxis stuff from uploaded homes... they do style themselves
    > professionals, after all.
    >
    > --
    > --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net

    lol, that they do!
    Good idea...you should pitch it to Maxis
    They should listen to the community we pay their bills!
    There are plenty of people who love the Exchange
    it would most definitely be a pity if Maxis brings it down
    just because some snot nosed moron decided he hated everyone.

    - D

    D waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose (OOPS!) -
    tried again and came up with:
    > "> I think that Maxis shutting down the exchange due to a few
    > malicious
    >> individuals would be bad. It's the same as capitulating to
    >> terrorists. Given that, however, Maxis should take some
    >> responsibility in ensuring that
    >> the site is clean, although that means using tools that have been
    >> created by
    >> the community instead of them - and they have a big dose of
    >> "not-invented-here" syndrome. OTOH, they could create a tool that
    >> removes non-Maxis stuff from uploaded homes... they do style
    >> themselves professionals, after all.
    >
    > lol, that they do!
    > Good idea...you should pitch it to Maxis
    > They should listen to the community we pay their bills!
    > There are plenty of people who love the Exchange
    > it would most definitely be a pity if Maxis brings it down
    > just because some snot nosed moron decided he hated everyone.
    >
    > - D

    Not me. I've been banned from their forum for over two years, because I
    complained about their "professionalism" for not correcting old problems in
    TS1... They really need QA people who know what they're doing.

    --
    --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
    "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
    "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
    Mwahahaha!

    Maxis needs to

    a) reject user-uploaded content that contains custom objects or, at the
    *very* least,
    b) inform Exchange users that such-and-such object contains custom ones or
    c) rewrite the package installer so it displays all content within a
    ..Sim2Pack file, with a checkbox (install/don't install) next to each item

    As for c), I'm thinking of writing my own. The .Sim2Pack format seems
    braindead easy, at least as far as identifying multiple files is concerned.

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:18:51 -0500, "Homer J. Simpson"
    <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Maxis needs to
    >
    >a) reject user-uploaded content that contains custom objects or, at the
    >*very* least,
    >b) inform Exchange users that such-and-such object contains custom ones or
    >c) rewrite the package installer so it displays all content within a
    >.Sim2Pack file, with a checkbox (install/don't install) next to each item
    >
    >As for c), I'm thinking of writing my own. The .Sim2Pack format seems
    >braindead easy, at least as far as identifying multiple files is concerned.

    Isn't that what the one available at ModTheSims2 does?

    BW

    Um - I think Maxis already does no.2 and doesn't the Clean Hack Installer
    thing do no.3?

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Maxis needs to
    >
    > a) reject user-uploaded content that contains custom objects or, at the
    > *very* least,
    > b) inform Exchange users that such-and-such object contains custom ones or
    > c) rewrite the package installer so it displays all content within a
    > .Sim2Pack file, with a checkbox (install/don't install) next to each item
    >
    > As for c), I'm thinking of writing my own. The .Sim2Pack format seems
    > braindead easy, at least as far as identifying multiple files is
    concerned.

    > > b) inform Exchange users that such-and-such object contains custom ones
    > > or
    > Um - I think Maxis already does no.2

    As some sort of disclaimer? Maybe, but (at least the last time I downloaded
    a lot) I was never shown an actual list of any custom content. Just a
    generic warning isn't good enough.

    > > c) rewrite the package installer so it displays all content within a
    > > .Sim2Pack file, with a checkbox (install/don't install) next to each
    > > item
    > and doesn't the Clean Hack Installer thing do no.3?

    If that's the utility that displays a whole mess of GUIDs and not much else
    (after some seemingly random clicking around until you can get *something*
    to appear at all), then color me unimpressed...there *is* displayable
    information in those files, I'm not sure why that utility doesn't use it (if
    we're talking about the same thing...gotta link?)

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:28:06 -0500, "Homer J. Simpson"
    <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> > b) inform Exchange users that such-and-such object contains custom ones
    >> > or
    >> Um - I think Maxis already does no.2
    >
    >As some sort of disclaimer? Maybe, but (at least the last time I downloaded
    >a lot) I was never shown an actual list of any custom content. Just a
    >generic warning isn't good enough.
    >
    >> > c) rewrite the package installer so it displays all content within a
    >> > .Sim2Pack file, with a checkbox (install/don't install) next to each
    >> > item
    >> and doesn't the Clean Hack Installer thing do no.3?
    >
    >If that's the utility that displays a whole mess of GUIDs and not much else
    >(after some seemingly random clicking around until you can get *something*
    >to appear at all), then color me unimpressed

    No, Sims2Pack Clean Installer (the one you can get from a link at
    www.modthesims2.com) shows a list of files in the pack, with a check
    box by each, so you can install any or none of them. It also can show
    which ones are hacks, etc. Try it out. I have associated it with
    ..Sim2Pack files and use it to open/install them all now--floors and
    walls as well as houses.

    BW

    > No, Sims2Pack Clean Installer (the one you can get from a link at
    > www.modthesims2.com) shows a list of files in the pack, with a check
    > box by each, so you can install any or none of them. It also can show
    > which ones are hacks, etc. Try it out. I have associated it with
    > .Sim2Pack files and use it to open/install them all now--floors and
    > walls as well as houses.

    Nice.

    Not only does it require the .NET framework, it dies a horrible death right
    after installing.

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:32:53 -0500, "Homer J. Simpson"
    <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> No, Sims2Pack Clean Installer (the one you can get from a link at
    >> www.modthesims2.com) shows a list of files in the pack, with a check
    >> box by each, so you can install any or none of them. It also can show
    >> which ones are hacks, etc. Try it out. I have associated it with
    >> .Sim2Pack files and use it to open/install them all now--floors and
    >> walls as well as houses.
    >
    >Nice.
    >
    >Not only does it require the .NET framework, it dies a horrible death right
    >after installing.

    Hmm, I had it crash once after I first installed it, but never again.

    BW

    <barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:32:53 -0500, "Homer J. Simpson"
    > <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >>> No, Sims2Pack Clean Installer (the one you can get from a link at
    >>> www.modthesims2.com) shows a list of files in the pack, with a check
    >>> box by each, so you can install any or none of them. It also can show
    >>> which ones are hacks, etc. Try it out. I have associated it with
    >>> .Sim2Pack files and use it to open/install them all now--floors and
    >>> walls as well as houses.
    >>
    >>Nice.
    >>
    >>Not only does it require the .NET framework, it dies a horrible death
    >>right
    >>after installing.
    >
    > Hmm, I had it crash once after I first installed it, but never again.

    It works great for me too. The only criticism I'd make of it is the way it
    hijacks your file associations, taking .sims2pack files for itself. I
    realise this makes it more newbie-friendly, but I'd like to have at least
    been asked even if the default was to change the association.

    >>>Nice.
    >>>
    >>>Not only does it require the .NET framework, it dies a horrible death
    >>>right
    >>>after installing.
    >>
    >> Hmm, I had it crash once after I first installed it, but never again.
    >
    > It works great for me too. The only criticism I'd make of it is the way it
    > hijacks your file associations, taking .sims2pack files for itself. I
    > realise this makes it more newbie-friendly, but I'd like to have at least
    > been asked even if the default was to change the association.

    Hmmm...maybe that's why it crashed...the machine I tried this on doesn't
    have the game installed (silly assumption on the developer's part, really).

    Gryfallon wrote:
    <snip>
    > It works great for me too. The only criticism I'd make of it is the
    > way it hijacks your file associations, taking .sims2pack files for
    > itself. I realise this makes it more newbie-friendly, but I'd like
    > have at least been asked even if the default was to change the
    > association.

    I can get it to run, but it never actually seems to install lots for
    me. At least they never show up in the game.

    And then I can't get the normal Package Installer to work. I
    associate it to the sims2pack files, but then when I click on a file,
    it says "Please Double Click Custom Content Package to Install". But
    duh, I just did.

    > >> Hmm, I had it crash once after I first installed it, but never again.
    > >
    > > It works great for me too. The only criticism I'd make of it is the way
    it
    > > hijacks your file associations, taking .sims2pack files for itself. I
    > > realise this makes it more newbie-friendly, but I'd like to have at
    least
    > > been asked even if the default was to change the association.
    >
    > Hmmm...maybe that's why it crashed...the machine I tried this on doesn't
    > have the game installed (silly assumption on the developer's part,
    really).

    Why would you want the program on a computer that did not have the game
    installed?
    I've heard of people being able to use programs like simspe to make things
    for the game, and they don't even have the game. Talk about a bad download
    waiting to happen :(

    It takes forever to load my downloads folder - but that's because of the
    number of files I have. The first couple of times I tried it I didn't
    realise this and caused it to freeze and crash by trying to tell it to do
    things while it was still loading (some files were visible but the folder
    selection box was greyed out)

    MM

    <barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:32:53 -0500, "Homer J. Simpson"
    > <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > >> No, Sims2Pack Clean Installer (the one you can get from a link at
    > >> www.modthesims2.com) shows a list of files in the pack, with a check
    > >> box by each, so you can install any or none of them. It also can show
    > >> which ones are hacks, etc. Try it out. I have associated it with
    > >> .Sim2Pack files and use it to open/install them all now--floors and
    > >> walls as well as houses.
    > >
    > >Nice.
    > >
    > >Not only does it require the .NET framework, it dies a horrible death
    right
    > >after installing.
    >
    > Hmm, I had it crash once after I first installed it, but never again.
    >
    > BW

    >> Hmmm...maybe that's why it crashed...the machine I tried this on doesn't
    >> have the game installed (silly assumption on the developer's part,
    > really).
    >
    > Why would you want the program on a computer that did not have the game
    > installed?

    To load up the program to see if it's the one I already tried a few
    weeks/months ago?

    The fact that I don't have the game installed on a particular machine
    doesn't mean it's ok for the program to crash...that's
    just...unprofessional. If the developer can't be bothered to do such a
    basic and *easy* check, that doesn't sit very well with me--what other
    checks is he skipping? If you write or call code but never check for
    errors, that's just asking for trouble further down the line. That's how
    you end up with software that doesn't report any error, giving you the
    impression that everything's working fine, and then something breaks but you
    can't find the source of the problem...great way to corrupt files. That's
    not very promising for a program whose single purpose is to manage files.

    Then again, in this case, I suppose I'd rather have the OS kill the program
    before it does any damage...

    > > > b) inform Exchange users that such-and-such object contains custom
    ones
    > > > or
    > > Um - I think Maxis already does no.2
    >
    > As some sort of disclaimer? Maybe, but (at least the last time I
    downloaded
    > a lot) I was never shown an actual list of any custom content. Just a
    > generic warning isn't good enough.

    Umm no - I suggest you go back and have a look - it gives you a list.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Umm no - I suggest you go back and have a look - it gives you a list.

    Whoah. Is that new?

    If it isn't...then Maxis needs to make this more obvious--have it displayed
    (no way around it) before you download anything, not bury it under some tab
    you have to scroll to even see. I've been downloading lots from Exchange
    since it went online, and never noticed this until you pointed it out.

    Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >>Umm no - I suggest you go back and have a look - it gives you a list.
    >

    > Whoah. Is that new?
    >
    > If it isn't...then Maxis needs to make this more obvious--have it displayed
    > (no way around it) before you download anything, not bury it under some tab
    > you have to scroll to even see. I've been downloading lots from Exchange
    > since it went online, and never noticed this until you pointed it out.

    Yeah, but what it doesn't tell you is if the sims that are included in
    the lot are sick. That happened to me; I had put the home in a
    neighborhood, but hadn't entered the house. I then went into another
    house and had that family(one I created) go to a community lot. When
    they got there the new family was already there and they were all sick
    and got one of my sims sick just because they approached him to talk.
    It's very frustrating, 4 out of the 5 people in the house are sick and
    none of them want to rest to get better. That's the only problem I have
    had in downloading from the exchange so far, but I don't think I will
    donwload any more houses with sims in them.

    Ali

    > Yeah, but what it doesn't tell you is if the sims that are included in the
    > lot are sick.

    Sick sims barely register as a minor annoyance to me. I may get a
    notification "X is sick with the flu", I pretty much ignore it and go on
    with business as usual, then later I get the "X is healthy again"
    notification...thanks, that was pointless...

    Is it really a big deal for other people?

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:05:18 -0500, ali <babaonthenet@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >>>Umm no - I suggest you go back and have a look - it gives you a list.
    >>

    >> Whoah. Is that new?
    >>
    >> If it isn't...then Maxis needs to make this more obvious--have it displayed
    >> (no way around it) before you download anything, not bury it under some tab
    >> you have to scroll to even see. I've been downloading lots from Exchange
    >> since it went online, and never noticed this until you pointed it out.
    >>

    >Yeah, but what it doesn't tell you is if the sims that are included in
    >the lot are sick. That happened to me; I had put the home in a
    >neighborhood, but hadn't entered the house. I then went into another
    >house and had that family(one I created) go to a community lot. When
    >they got there the new family was already there and they were all sick
    >and got one of my sims sick just because they approached him to talk.
    >It's very frustrating, 4 out of the 5 people in the house are sick and
    >none of them want to rest to get better. That's the only problem I have
    >had in downloading from the exchange so far, but I don't think I will
    >donwload any more houses with sims in them.

    I don't download inhabited houses.

    What if you put in in the neighborhood and immediately evicted the
    family? Probably, all you want is the house, so that should keep from
    infecting the neighborhood, shouldn't it?

    BW

    Wow.

    If you have the money to waste, I'd try isolating those sims in a bed (maybe
    with a fridge/toilet/shower) in a tiny room (one each, to avoid
    contact)...even if it's gotta be at the very far end of a lot...until they
    recover.

    Oh I did that, pretty much...
    Sophie was tearing her hair out as her kids were whining about food and
    Charlie wanting to go out....
    toddler throwing water everywhere, toaster pastries burning, Maid almost
    quitting on her...
    and Slim...sitting upstairs in the master bedroom watching telly and
    relaxing

    eventually he got better but he did infect Sophie...who only took 2 doses of
    the medicine before she became well.
    phew.

    But yeah isolation is a good thing...can become quite the epidemic!

    --
    - D

    > Wow.
    >
    > If you have the money to waste, I'd try isolating those sims in a bed
    > (maybe with a fridge/toilet/shower) in a tiny room (one each, to avoid
    > contact)...even if it's gotta be at the very far end of a lot...until they
    > recover.

Sims Games Video Games