HD 4870 x2 Crash Reboot problem

synnk

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I know this is the wrong forum but it wouldnt let me post on the appropiate one.

Ok so i recently bourght a new machine for £1100 and decided to go with the ATI HD 4870 x2 gainward. Normally a Nvidia fan i wanted a change.

I got everything working fine, until i started playing my games. My game will load up but within minutes my computer restarts itself with no error or screen freezing, its as if someone has pressed the restart button. I don't get any error message when i get back onto windows.

I am not narrowing the problem down to the GPU but as it only happens when i play something graphicly demanding i am assuming it is my GPU.

Setup

Intel Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.8GHZ
3GB 1600MHZ DDR3
Windows Vista 32bt Ultimate
ATI Radeon HD 4870 x2
P45 Diamond Series MS-7516 Ver 1.0
Sata Hitachi SCSI 500Gb
PSU 800W Ezcool

GPU temp = 45c Idle
CPU temp = 35c Idle
Systemm temp = 30c Idle

Ive tryed the latest drivers and older versions. I know i have the latest drivers for all my other hardware. i just can't seem to find the problem :( Please help.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Remove the graphics card and try another to see if you get the same behavior.

Test your existing card in another machine. This would reveal a bad motherboard.

Download a memory testing application from the Internet and run it on your system.

Further more, make sure all drivers are loaded. Motherboard, SCSI, and Graphics (in that order).
You say your system was just purchased, so I assume that's been done properly.

You may want to check Windows Event Viewer to see if anything was reported.

Troubleshooting is very time consuming and often requires you to have multiple machines laying around.

Problem is, the average individual doesn't work as a technician and is void of those resources.

Good Luck.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ezcool is not a well known brand, looks a bit cheap for 800W! Install Speedfan and check the 12V line. Chart tab will show if level unstable. Have you attached all required power leads to the video card? Have you installed latest video driver? Run Memtest86 to test all your memory.

Mike.