Verbatim 96532 transfer format

geeklessdude

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hello,
This 250GB 2.5 inch drive is in a usb 2.0 enclosure. I want to know if I can remove it from its enclosure and if its format is IDE ATA100, possibly being able to install it into my laptop in place of its full 20GB original HDD. I have not been able to find/peruse any tech info on the actual HDD in the enclosure, I think I can use any IDE ATA100 2.5 inch HDD (after plugging it into its adaptor card and installing it into its laptop caddy). Does anyone know the internals of this verbatim 250GB external 2.0 USB HDD?

geeklessdude

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
BUMP!

:eek: Does anyone know what drive is inside this enclosure? All you geeks out there, do you have a link to the drive parameters? I cannot research it without knowing what drive is in this enclosure. Thanks! :eek:

geeklessdude

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
After further research, I contacted verbatim technical support. I have a feeling they may not be responsive to my query about what type drive and who makes it, but the question is asked. Who knows, if its not classified or corporate secrets (silly if you ask me) then maybe someone there will respond in the positive, about the hardware drive in this enclosure. Its outdated it seems, so maybe its an older compatable drive I can use.

geeklessdude

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
:ouch:
****My Q to them:

I need to know what type drive is installed in this (Verbatim 96532) enclosure. Is it an IDE ATA100 @5400 RPM? Can you also tell me the manufacturer and model number? Thank you for specifically responding to the above question.

Their response:

Hi George, Thank you for contacting Verbatim Technical Support. Verbatim portable hard drive goes with 5400 RPM, the internal hard drives manufactured by OEM companies like WD and Samsung. We cannot confirm weather the drive inside is a SATA or a IDE disk untill we have the model number. Your case # xxxxx
If you need any further assistance please call us on: 646-537-3411 and we will be happy to assist you. Regards, Verbatim Technical Support.

**** OK, the number 96532 cross references to a model USB250, so I respond back to them:

Verbatim Technical Support, Thank you for your speedy response. In submitting the original inquiry, I thought the model number was 96532. It seems the model number is USB250 Sorry I missed that in the original inquiry. I thank you for your response and look forward to hearing back from you. I hope this number helps determine the internal drive type as IDE or SATA. George

Their response:

Hi George, Thank you for contacting Verbatim Technical Support. The drive model number is 96532, and USB250 number indicates the interface & capacity of the hard drive. With help of USB-250 we will not be able to identify the disk type inside the hard drive. If you need any further assistance please call us on: 646-537-3411and we will be happy to assist you. Thanks and regards, Verbatim Technical Support

My reply:

Verbatim Technical Support, Its a good thing I did not buy this drive. If the technical support people do not know the internal drive, how the hell can you provide technical support? Shame, I'll go buy a competitors device that provides technical support. EX potential customer George

Can you believe this company hires tech people who have no idea what hardware is inside? Imagine how pissed I would be, calling that toll phone number, while the bill gets higher n higher and I get shuffled to tech to tech who has no clue. Anyone ever take one of these apart and see the drive inside?

geeklessdude

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Update

Verbatim tech support called me because of the reply I sent to them (above). The overseas tech support member told me there were two different models of the USB250 (one with a IDE, one with a SATA). I asked him if the serial number would disclose the type drive he said no. He lamented he was 'very upset' when he got my reply and had to call me. I agree if they do not know, its not their fault. I also agree that if they don't know, its their bad. The tech said the only way to know for sure is for me to open the enclosure and read the data off the drive itself. Pretty hard to do without first purchasing the drive (which is then 'warranty invalidated'. These guys traffic hardware, too bad the follow-on service is so pitiful. I still have design manuals/specs from my first Intel Motherboard, the VS440FX. Reams of design docs/specs, now thats the way people should design stuff, not drop them all like a hot potato after the sale. Companies, are you listening? Or are you just in it until your CEO breaks your back and your all out of business. Whatever happened to quality first, and dedicated customer support even after life cycle end of product line? I still have no clue sans taking one apart (distroying at least the warranty) whether or not this drive will work, and verbatim tech support has no way of telling what drive is in it even by serial number of the drive. Companies sure like to keep stupid things secret, don't they?

Still looking for a reply from the vast KB of the forum. Again, anyone know one way or the other?

geeklessdude

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
:( Well, 2 1/2 weeks and no responses from anyone associated with this forum. What a waste..... Makes me think if I had a chick sounding name, the replies would be voluminous. Thanks for at least reading this post, I guess..... :(

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Reading through this, I'm wondering why you are trying to buy an external drive and enclosure, rather than just getting the drive you want.
??