FallenRo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello.

I've got my first Machine Check Exception a few months ago. At first, the error occurred rarely and I didn't give it much importance. But lately the computer started giving me this error on a daily basis.

Here's the error I get:
"MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION"
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFFADFC8A81240, 0x00000000B6000000, 0x0000000000000181)

My computer crashes with Machine Check Exception randomly. Sometimes while I am surfing the net, other times while playing (both new games with complicated graphics and very old games which don't stress out the video card), other times when the computer is completely idle. I haven't noticed any time patterns. Sometimes the computer works ok for 10 hours and sometimes it crashes after 5 or 10 or 30 or 60 minutes after i turn it on.

I think this error started occurring after I upgraded my RAM Memory from 2Gb to 4Gb. Immediately after I put in the new RAM the computer started crashing (usually after 5-10 minutes of working), so I tried going back to 2Gb of RAM. At first I tried the old RAM (the initial configuration) but the computer would still keep crashing. I changed then to the new 2Gb of RAM. Nothing changed, the computer was in a crash frenzy, so I put back my initial RAM again. Then I switched to Windows XP 64 bit after this (before I had Windows XP SP2 32 bit). After this move it seemed to work a little better (a few random restarts a day, but at least I could use it for more than just few minutes at a time).

As an example:
I am currently playing Diablo 2, and the computer sometimes works ok for 10 hours in a row and sometimes it restarts after I play 5 minutes of the game. After I reset it and I resume playing, sometimes it restarts again in 5-10 minutes and sometimes it works ok for another 10 hours in a row.

I’ve decided to try and solve this problem now since it’s getting really annoying. Maybe somebody here can help me with a suggestion / advice?

Here’s my computer configuration:
Motherboard: Asus M2N-E SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2,61Ghz)
Memory: 2 GB (manufacturer: Geil)
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb

I never used overcloacking.

I found some advice on the internet regarding this issue, and I followed it, but without any success:

I reinstalled the video card drivers.
I cleaned the cooling system of the processor and the video card (there was some dust there).
I reseted the BIOS configurations to the default values.

… but the problem still occures.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Dan