the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
OK, so I seem to have a major problem. I own a Radeon 4850 manufactured by VisionTek, stock cooler, dont have it on newegg anymore. But, I decided to try driver version 8.12, and after uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones, i reboot. Immediately after the XP x64 boot screen, BSOD about the file "win32k.sys". (Happened about 8 times in a row) I thought this was a windows system file, but did not mess with the OS. Instead I did a safeboot, did what I thought was uninstall the old drivers, and try to go back to 8.10 drivers. When I reboot the BSOD is gone, but now I get an error saying that the MOM.implementation cant initialize. I then try to go to CCC, and it says that it cant initialize some other thing and I cant get to CCC. So I finally get to here so I could ask for some help on fixing this.

I have tried Driver Cleaner, not really sure if it did anything.

Please and Thanks for the help.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
did you uninstall ccc from add/remove or just use device manager to uninstall the driver itself?

i think your mixing versions of the driver and ccc, use addremove to delete ccc and use device manager to remove the driver, start afresh and try again.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Here's what you do. Uninstall all the drivers. Add/Remove Programs "ATI- Software uninstall Utility. That will get rid of all ATI drivers. REBOOT. CANCEL any automatic driver installation. Install the new drivers. REBOOT. You shouldnt have a problem. I don't recommend updating your drivers EVERYtime they put out a new driver. Thats about every month. Just if you're doing a new install of windows or the new drivers are known to fix something you are having a problem with.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

the statement above holds true if ATI, with every one of their driver release (excluding the hotfixes), dont promise performance increases with the games that you might be playing or had played before. its just tempting to do a driver update.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, plus lately they have been adding goodies like fan control and stream that make them pretty worth while to upgrade to.

Hopefully this competitive driver release between NV and ATI will keep up so that we can get more out of our hardware. Another aftershock effect of ATI stepping on NV's toes...lower prices and now better driver releases...me likey.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

Yes I do ATI ;)