Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Adding a second hard drive, some questions.

Last response: in Storage
April 29, 2010 8:55:32 PM

Alrighty,

I'm looking into adding a second hard drive, because the one I am currently using is almost out of space (20GB/500GB remaining). I am just wondering what the process is for adding a second drive. I just want that one so I can start putting my games and other large files on it.

Some specs:
C2Q Q9550
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

The current drive I'm using as WD Green 500GB (why I bought a 5900rpm drive I have no idea.....) and the one I am looking to add is a WD Black 1TB drive.

So my questions are:

Can I just throw in the new hard drive, plug it into the SATA port, and it works like that? Or do I have to enable anything?

I have all of my games on steam, I'm assuming I cant just drag/drop the files onto the new harddrive right? I actually have to reinstall them on the new one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
April 29, 2010 9:50:47 PM

Plug in new drive - Boot comp - format drive (or partition/format) using disk management tools.

You may be able to move your steam game files in steam. If not, back them up (steam again) and restore them to the new drive...
m
l
April 29, 2010 10:30:51 PM

Sweet, so it should pretty much be plug and play after formatting? Good, I'll buy one tomorrow =D
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2010 10:37:50 PM

Also, on my motherboard, there are six yellow SATA slots, and 2 purple G_SATA slots. What exactly are the purple slots for? I've looked around but can't really find a clear answer.
m
l

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
April 29, 2010 10:59:51 PM

I would say they are from a different SATA controller onyour motherboard. Check your manual. I think 6 sata ports is the max. Them you need a secondary controller, which you need anyway for any IDE drives (i.e. DVD/CD drives).

Or they could be SATA II @ 3.0Gb/s, and your other one are only SATA 1.5Gb/s. Once again, read your manual.

Having just read your manual, you have the Intel ICH10R chipset, which DOES only support 6 SATA drives (the orange SATA connectors.)

The other ones are supported through the Gigabyte SATA/IDE controller. Same kinda setup as mine (Asus P6T), except my secondary contoller is JMicron. All has to do with the limits on the Intel chipset.

To use them, you have to install the drivers for them. Probably on your driver CD for the mobo. Put I'd stay with the Intel ports.

As for ease of install...simple. Install drive, set BIOS to see it, Run Windows, and partion and format in Drive Management. (Like stated above).

AND, always use the lowest port number first...a whole other post.

If you have only 20GB of a 500GB HDD left, you MUST have ALOT of stuff! Have you ever run "Disk Cleanup"?

Get a 1.5-2.0 TB drive! Your usage of it seems correct. And you'll be future ready. ;) 
April 30, 2010 12:02:22 AM

Best answer selected by Pigbearman.
m
l
April 30, 2010 12:39:43 AM

Hello,
According to NewEgg.com your Gigabyte EP45-UD3P has a Total of 8 SATA 3Gb/s Ports split between the South Bridge: RAID 0/1/5/10 & the GIGABYTE SATA2 chip: RAID 0/1/JBOD
You have 1 Hard Rive & probably 1 or 2 DVD/CD Drives, so you should have At-Least 5 SATA Ports open.
The WD Black 1TB Hard Drive you mentioned purchasing comes in either 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s, Either will work on Your Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and should be Plug-&-Play, just turn your computer Off, Plug in the WD Black 1TB Hard Drive, Then your Computer back on & Windows Should see the Drive & Offer to format it if it is not already.
I Would suggest for Ease and Simplicity to just Mover Your Music & Videos over to the New Drive :)  rather that Having to go through the hassle of Uninstalling & Reinstall ALL of Your Games :( 
Good Luck :D 
m
l
!