Thermal Compounds

anttotarella

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hey guys, I have a quick question for cooling.

I'm planning on getting a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ to cool my Core i5-750 and I was wondering if adding 10$ for Arctic Silver 5 was worth it or if just using the thermal paste provided is enough to get to 3.8GHz overclock. Thanks

You should be okay with the thermal compound supplied by Coolermaster. If not, then you could always remove the compound and try a different one. That's one of the great things about building your own computer. You can experiment and see what works best for you! :D

That last time I looked there were over 80 brands and types of thermal compounds. Just about every veteran has a favorite compound. For example I prefer IC 7 Carat Diamond while another veteran might prefer Arctic Silver MX-3. If six veterans were to recommend a compound each one of them would probably list a different brand.

I absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee individual results will vary.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
LOL Johnny. We all have our preferences indeed...

If Cooler Master includes their ThermalFusion 400, you won't need to use something else. It's very good. I've used it and it worked better than AS5, Ceramique, and a couple others I've tried on my systems.

Of course, results always vary because each application is a little different and it's not always applied the exact same way...

+1 on the IC Diamond.

At any rate, TIM has little to do at the end of the day, unless you're doing some insane OCing where the 1-2C matters.