Sign in with
Your question

Can I add SATA Hard Disk as 2nd? My other is IDE(PATA)

Last response: in Storage
April 30, 2010 2:29:29 AM

Hi,

My motherboard is ver3.x and I have only one hard disk. My Hard disk is an IDE (PATA).
My Question is 'can I add my second Hard Disk?' I like to add a SATA hard disk. Can I add SATA hard disk when my other is IDE(PATA)?
I see in my User's Manual, on the diagram of the mainboard, there is two jsata slots. Is JSATA slot is the slot where I can connect the SATA hard Disk? Because I'm not sure because of It has "J" as prefix. :) 

Things I Have:
- SATA cable
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
April 30, 2010 3:06:15 AM

I believe the J is because the SATA port is controlled by the jmicron controller. You should still be able to add the 2nd drive. Make sure the hard drive priority and the boot device priority is set correctly in the BIOS, and you'll be fine.
a b G Storage
April 30, 2010 4:26:08 AM

ditto aford10's excellent advice:

also, be sure that the JMicron controller is enabled in your BIOS,
and you may also need to load a device driver for that controller
if you have not already done so.

and, some ASUS motherboards work best when the PATA+SATA option
is selected under "IDE Configuration" in the BIOS, if both types of HDD
are connected.

MRFS

Related resources
May 1, 2010 2:20:24 AM

Hi, thanks for your answers.

Do I need a Driver like a SATA Controller for that? because I checked the Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager). I only got IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and when I expand that there are Primary,Secondary, and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.
Or, will it only appear when there are now some device connected to the JSATA Port?

Thanks!
May 1, 2010 2:25:08 AM

Also, when I will connect the Second Hard Drive,In Boot Device Priority where will i put it, my first hard drive is in Master. Should I put it in Slave the next to it?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 1, 2010 2:36:26 AM

I believe all versions of windows past XP SP2, have the SATA support. You likely won't have to change anything, as the boot files are on the IDE drive, and it's the active boot drive.

You should be able to connect the SATA drive, then go into disk management, and format it.
May 1, 2010 2:45:47 AM

Win 98 will install on a SATA drive if it is natively recognized by the BIOS. XP service pack add support for HDD bigger than 137 GB.

Natively means that the controller is part of the chipset and the type is set as IDE or compatible and NOT an external chip like the JMicron.

To put it simple, if you computer can boot from a SATA cd or dvd drive, it will install any OS that is compatible with your motherboard.
!